General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat issues; need help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Default heat issues; need help.

about a year ago put in a new heater core. mechanic also replaced water pump propellor (not car engine savvy so dont hold me to correct terminology) and said there was a chance that there was still stuff in the hoses blocking passage. also my radiator does not work, is clogged and has yet to be replaced. the top hoses are warm after use of the car but the hoses in the back dont seem to be getting any circulation.

the mechanic also put in a 190 thermostat to get the heater core to work when the car is only rated for a 175. (so i overheat alot and heater core still doesnt work!)

so its a total mess of an engine, but i need to get the heat working asap. i figured replacing the radiator and thermostat may help, but i was also told it might be as simple as flushing the lines..

can someone with some honda smarts give me some advice on what i should do? -___-

Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Is your engine overheating due to a clogged radiator? Or is your heat not working inside of your car due a clogged heater core?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A 195F thermostat is correct for your car.

Check that heater flow control valve (at heater core connections on firewall is connected and moves when temp control **** on heater control is moved.

If valve is OK, then check whether delivery heater hose is getting warm/hot when engine is fully warm. If yes, and there is no flow (return hose cold), then there is a blockage in heater core. You might try disconnecting heater hoses and gently forcing water through the heater core to hopefully move the blockage. Note, the heater core may not take full home water supply pressure so don't fully load the heater core w/ water supply.

good luck

Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM

PAhonda; i'm not even sure. i have yet to be able to figure out which one is causing the problems.

TexasHonda; if 195F is rated for my car do you know why it could be overheating then? I was pretty sure the mechanic said he put in a thermostat that was rated above what the car was rated for, but maybe he got the numbers wrong.
Thanks for the additional advice, ill be sure to try that out asap.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM

It may be that all the air in the system was not bled. There is a bleeder on top of the intake manifold that can be cracked on cold engine allowing air to escape as engine idles.

good luck

Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM

would it just be best to take it to a mechanic and give them this advice, or do it myself at home with my diesel mechanic boyfriend? im trying to be cheap about the whole thing, but i understand if its really needed to get it working properly i need to spend some money, im willing

Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 PM

It's definitely DIY work, but it's your call.

good luck

Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you do not fix your overheating problem soon you will finding yourself needed very expensive motor repairs.