General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heat Problem

Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Heat Problem

I have 96 Lx with an odd heater problem that I can't seem to understand.

Heater and blower work fine. Heater control ***** turn, lights change when different settings are selected.

The problem is that the heat in the car does not get anywhere above luke warm. I can let the car sit and run for 20 minutes and still no warm heat. Thermostat was replaced last winter and the problem persists.

During summer months, air still ever so slightly flows into the car even if the warm is turned all the way to cold. I make it so there is no vent selected, and this seems to decrease the air coming in, but it is still present.

Im not sure of the problem, but it almost seems to me that something is stuck open, allowing the air to come into the cabin all year round. There are no coolant leaks anywhere outside or inside.

With colder weather approaching and having put up with this for oe winter already in the northeast, any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

In teh engine compartment, find the cable-operated valve on the heater hose. Have someone work the temperature control & verify that the cable is moving the valve.

Broken or disconnected cable outside at the valve?

Broken or disconnected cable under the dash?

The temperature control moves a cable going down to the heater unit under the dash. That operates air-mixing doors. From down there, a 2nd cable goes out through the firewall to the valve. Look for anything broken or disconnected.

If the valve is OK, then set it to full-HOT and check for air in the cooling system; open the bleed valve at the thermostat housing.

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-24-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It's normal to have a small flow of fresh air even w/ everything off. Doors are designed to allow some fresh air in even when recirculate is selected.

If actuator/heater flow valve check OK, then heater core could be blocked. This can happen if someone installed a "leak sealant' in the cooling system to cure a small leak. It might also be possible due to a very nasty cooling system w/ rust and scale.

good luck