General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Shield loose

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:44 PM
hmrnmky
Unregistered
Default Heat Shield loose

I have an '05 Accord Cpe EX V6 with 11K miles and have been to the dealer twice regarding a loose heat shield. The first visit they tightened the heat shield which worked for about 2 weeks. I went in again and they replaced the heat shield which lasted for about 1 month and now it is loose again. Any ideas or suggestions about what could be causing this problem. I need to take the car in again because the of the noice the loose heat shield makes.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:12 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default RE: Heat Shield loose

Are you referring to the heat shield that covers the exhaust manifold?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

take it back to dealer ,, and have them fix it again,, maybe they left something loose ..

Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
hmrnmky
Unregistered

I believe it is the heat shield for the exhaust manifold though the service adviser said it was near the front axel. I plan to go back and have it tightened again but just wondered if this was a common problem. Seems that the heat shield can not remain in place but either vibrates loose or however it is attached is insufficient to keep it in place.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:14 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

If its just the manifold heat shield, you could just take it off. The car will work just fine without it, and it would rid you of that noise.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: poser_pilot6

If its just the manifold heat shield, you could just take it off. The car will work just fine without it, and it would rid you of that noise.
Every part on a car is there for a reason. If Honda didnt have to put those on im sure they would love to save that 40 cents a car. Thats a lot of money they could save. The heat shield is there for a reason and should not be removed.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:22 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Well if you put a header on your car, you lose the heat shield anyway. So what does it really matter?

Old 02-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Well if you put a header on your car, you lose the heat shield anyway. So what does it really matter?
good point Poser .. But i would Not advice it in this case,,, car is still under warranty,, if you alter anything ,you void the warranty

Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 PM

Aftermarket headers are made of a different type of metal that disapates the heat more quickly and run cooler than factory manifolds, thats why you lose the heat shield.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:16 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

good point Poser .. But i would Not advice it in this case,,, car is still under warranty,, if you alter anything ,you void the warranty
Even something as trivial as removing a heat shield? I dont know about warranties, I havent ever had a brand new car lol. But thats crazy. So just putting on an intake voids the warranty then?

Also, I have been running my car with stock manifold and no heat shield for about 30k miles, with no ill effects. But my car is also a fifth gen.