General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heating and fuel consumption issues (new UK owner)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Default Heating and fuel consumption issues (new UK owner)

Hello everyone and thanks for providing this wonderful platform for Hunda Accord owners. My previous car was a Lexus LS 400 4.0 V8. It was costing me too much to buy fuel hence i felt downgrading to the hunda accord 2.0 will make a lot of difference. This is my first time of buying a honda. And though the drive is smooth and reliable, the fuel consumption is just as bad as my lexus V8 4.0. A £10 (8.4 litre) fuel only gives me about 45 miles combined. Is this the average most of you get on your cars or do I have a problem?

There is also an issue with the heating which i don't know if its related to the fuel consumption. When i start the car and start driving, the temperature guage pin start raising as normal. But when i get to the motorway and start doing 40miles per hour or more, the temperature guage pin falls down fast and goes below zero. It stays below the zero mark even after more than 30 minutes of driving. Another thing is the heater is not hot at all. Its just slightly warm.

When i switch ON the car, I always hear fluid (i guess anti freeze) bubbling in the engine for a few seconds. Maybe this is a clue.

PLEASE I need your advice to point me in the right direction.
My car is 2000 hunda accord 2.0 VTEC executive automatic.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Since this is so different than the other, I moved your post out into its own thread.

Sounds like you're in UK so the Swindon-built Accord is a different car than what we get in USA. But we DO have a good handful of UK members & hopefully someone will chime in.

45 miles per 8.4 liters is about 20.3 miles per US gallon. That's pretty low. But 8.4 liters (2.2 US gallons) is a really small amount so you can't really count on filling to the same point. So try systematically measuring your fuel consumption.

Fill the tank full then zero the trip-odometer. Next time you get petrol, fill it full again, record the trip-miles and the exact liters of petrol. Do that over several consecutive fill-ups & make it up like this...
55,2 miles / 9,123 liters
150,5 miles / 15,123 liters
etc...

Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Your heat problem is probably related to fuel consumption. The temperature should not fall low while driving. When the engine is cold it uses more fuel.

1) Hondas do not like to have air pockets in the cooling system. There's a small air-bleed nipple on the thermostat housing. You can open that to let air out, then re-fill antifreeze as needed at the radiator cap. If air comes back in, then your radiator cap may need to be replaced. Post back if that's the case...

2) Beyond the air pockets, it also sounds like your thermostat is sticking open. The temperature gauge shouldn't get cool while driving. Have your thermostat replaced & most of us would recommend an actual Honda T-stat. Here in USA they're not stupidly expensive at the dealer and they seem to work better.