General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 2012 EX-L coupe - Cannot see/access Lumbar plate, when seatback removed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Default HELP! 2012 EX-L coupe - Cannot see/access Lumbar plate, when seatback removed

Hi,
I'm another desperate Accord owner who is trying to salvage the purchase of my fifth Accord, which I made only 4 weeks ago.
I've owned 5 previous generations of Accord with no real comfort issue's, but am absolutely horrified by the terrible lumbar protrusion in the front seat's.
Have read the multiple guides and posts on this forum (and other's), however, the seat back in my 2012 accord looks completely different to all other pics I've seen posted, and while I appreciate that the different years between 08 - 12 do have variances in the seat mechanics / setup, the confusion that i'm experiencing, is how to actuall access the Lumbar plate.
I've managed to remove the equivalent to the 'black plate' which I've seen mentioned, although mine was more of a flimsy herring bone design, covered with multiple springs, hooks and levers which were very, very difficult to remove (took me over 1 hour just to jimmy the springs free - was a real mission and I am somewhat mechanically inclined, although i'm no expert!).
Since I removed the flimsy black thing and the multiple springs and hooks, this seems to have disabled the active headrest restraint, so now there is nothing to push into the back of the seat, in relation to the head rest, but here is where i'm Completely confused....once I removed the black plastic, I don't see any type of lumbar plate, curved plastic piece, or whatever it looks like...all I can see is one big hard, solid piece of foam.
My question is, do I need to actually cut into that hard foam in order to access this lumbar plate ? I'm so confused and really stressed out because I drive just over 100 miles roundtrip, 5 days a wk in my daily work commute and after owning this car for approx. 4 wks, my back is totally messed up, beyond anything that I've ever experienced in my life and i'm a pretty active, healthy guy (@ 34 yrs). Since I've owned this car, I look for any excuse to NOT drive it, when to look at, it's a beautiful car (`12 Accord EX-l Coupe V6 w/ full HFP package), so i'm gutted at this point and really considering trading the car in and taking a big loss.
If anyone know's what i'm referring to in regards to locating/accessing/seeing the lumbar plate, pls let me know.
I'm really desperate to fix this seat before Monday if possible because I simply cannot continue driving the car in it's current form.
Even today, I haven't gone for the usualy grocery shopping because I just don't want to drive the car at all in it's current state.
Please HELP!!!
Thanks,
Desperate n Confused Accord Owner

Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM

forgot to mention, that the seats definitely have motorized lumbar controls because I've adjusted them in/out with the rockers on the side of the chair and even at the lowest setting, it still sticks into my rear/lower back causing an unnatural posture (for me) which leaves me in serious pain / discomfort, sometimes for several days at a time (unless I don't drive the car).

Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 AM

sorry, didn't include car details in my signature.....have added the details now (this my first time posting msgs on any forum's!)