General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! 92 accord issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Default Help! 92 accord issues.

Just replaced the clutch over the weekend, adjusted the pedal; everything was fine for the test drive. I went to drive it later only to break down on the side of the road. I don't know THAT much about cars, but I'm also not stupid when it comes to it.
Just for info; My tachometer was jumping all over the place and would go all the way up to 6k rpms, and not just when i was giving it gas. Mind you, the RPMs were going up, but my engine WAS NOT REVING.

I was stopped at a red light, accelerated in 1st, and all the sudden my engine died. No power steering, nothing from the gas pedal, brakes started tightening. Like I killed the car, but I didn't. Go to crank it, it cranks but doesn't turn over.

After numerous people telling me that I should change it, I replaced my ignition control module hoping that could be the fix. No luck. Now my check engine comes on aswell. I'm out of ideas! The only other thing I can think of is either a loose ground or ignition coil.

Could it be when I put the distributor back on I didn't have my lines exactly lined up? Did I miss one of my grounds? (I did end up with one extra bolt somehow that I'm not too happy about. Only I have no idea where it goes, other than not inside the tranny. I do not know what could cause all these problems, when none of these things were wrong before I replaced the clutch. And the clutch works great! I'm lost, frustrated and now broke with no car.

Sorry for the essay of a question, just trying to give a detailed view. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

There is a ground wire that bolts to the thermostat housing. That is an important ground for the ignition system.

I doubt that a misaligned distributor would cause that much trouble. Check the electrical connections for it though. If you have a timing light, you can check for spark on each of the spark plug wires.

Also listen for the fuel pump to turn on for about two seconds when you first turn the key to the II position while the check engine light does the bulb check. Don't try to start the car.

You should also check for codes. The common DIY threads on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link for checking engine codes.