General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help Accord can't accelerate after going thru floor waters

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Default Help Accord can't accelerate after going thru floor waters

My area had heavy rains which caused heavy flooding. I traveled about a half mile through heavy flooded streets - there was no way to avoid it. No rain was falling during this time. The water nearly reached the door. When I made it out I accelerated the car only to have it shut off on me. I restarted the car without any problems and the car idled fine. But when I gave any gas it would shut off again. I was only able to travel at idle. At idle the car would not shut off. When I gave it even a little gas sometimes the engine sounded like it was miss firing and turn off. In the nearly 12 times I restarted the car, only 3 times the car did not turn on on the first crank as if gas wasn't reaching the engine.

I let it dry out but the next day it is still starts fine and idles fine. But If I accelerate, the engine shuts down as before.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Have you opened up the air cleaner housing? It almost sounds like the air filter got wet and hasn't had enough time to dry out?

Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Hi Jim,

I did not check the air filter. But I did check the distributor. Even though it was not raining at the time I was driving. Considering how high the the air filter box sits, I don't think that is it but I will checkout out.

But, as I was limping home I stopped at a gas station. I noticed someone there looking at my front wheel. When I looked I saw that the slapping of the water had loosen a plastic piece on the passenger side wheel well. I was hearing some grinding noise while traveling (plastic against the tirel). I pushed it back in place and no more noise.

I'm wondering if the same thing could have happen to the cold air intake tube that comes from the bottom of the air filter box. It would have the same affect of restricting air? The engine is starving for gas or air. Once I get back to the car I'll check the air filter and intake.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM

Bad news…

Before I encountered the flood my car through a CEL. I don’t remember the codes. Auto Zone said it was one of two sensors regarding timing. After that I noticed the smell of gas and my mileage was dropping. After the flood my mechanic said the same of the two sensors but warmed me of other issues and more money. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced about 8 months ago. I elected to through that money into another car.

I rented an Innova 3100 lat code reader. Here are the results:

“CAT”, “O2S”, “EGR” lights flashing

P0302 - 1/6 - Misfire No. 2 cylinder

P1361 - 2/6 - TDC sensor 1 noise

P3181 - 3/6 - CMP sensor A intermittent interruption

P0301 - 4/6 - Misfire No. 1 cylinder

P1300 - 5/6 - Multiple cylinder

P1399 - 6/6 - Definition not available

Old 07-19-2019, 03:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by bjr001
Bad news…

Before I encountered the flood my car through a CEL. I don’t remember the codes. Auto Zone said it was one of two sensors regarding timing. After that I noticed the smell of gas and my mileage was dropping. After the flood my mechanic said the same of the two sensors but warmed me of other issues and more money. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced about 8 months ago. I elected to through that money into another car.

I rented an Innova 3100 lat code reader. Here are the results:

“CAT”, “O2S”, “EGR” lights flashing

P0302 - 1/6 - Misfire No. 2 cylinder

P1361 - 2/6 - TDC sensor 1 noise

P3181 - 3/6 - CMP sensor A intermittent interruption

P0301 - 4/6 - Misfire No. 1 cylinder

P1300 - 5/6 - Multiple cylinder

P1399 - 6/6 - Definition not available
Probably the crank trigger or whatever Honda calls it.