General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help!!! Cant get front rotors off!!!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Angry Help!!! Cant get front rotors off!!!!!

so today i attempted to do my front rotors and lets just say it didn't go as smoothly as i planned this **** sucks!!!!
i'm having issues with getting the front rotors off broke 2 breaker bars trying to do this... why wont the axel nut come lose i cant figure it out any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys?????

Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

The axle has two indents where the axle nut is staked to prevent them from coming off. You need to get a screw driver in there to pry up the indentations on the nut.

That axle nut can be a pain to remove. Putting a long pipe over the breaker bar might give you enough leverage to remove it. If you can't do it, take the car to a garage and have them use one of their impact wrenches to brake the nut loose then have them tighten it.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The tightening torque is 180 ft-lbs. Breakout torque is typically in the range of 1.5-2.0 times the tightening torque, so up to 360 ft-lbs necessary for break-out. On a 18" breaker bar, you must pull 240 lbs force (more since you don't pull on very end). This is more than most folks can generate, hence need for "cheater pipe" to increase leverage to something like 3-feet, effectively halving the required pull.

An air impact wrench will usually work w/ repeated application. Warming nut w/ a torch will also help.

good luck

Old 08-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I changed the axles on my 97 Accord last year. On one side I had to use a breaker bar pushing down and 180 degrees out used a floor jack lifting up. Also heated the nut and it finally broke loose.

On the other side I just ended up using a matabo cutting wheel to cut off the nut and axle shaft since I was replacing it anyway.

I was going to attempt changing my own rotors also, but called a few places and understand they are pressed on and very difficult to get off, even with the proper tool.

I let the shop do my rotors, which cost 180.00 each side which included parts and labor.

Good luck

Old 08-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

havent tried again has been raining since no garage..... thanks for the help will let you all know how it goes k guys

Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

So... the original poster never said what year his car is. If it's 1998 or newer, you don't need to remove the axle nut.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

sorry man its a 95 4 door ex

Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
The tightening torque is 180 ft-lbs. Breakout torque is typically in the range of 1.5-2.0 times the tightening torque, so up to 360 ft-lbs necessary for break-out. On a 18" breaker bar, you must pull 240 lbs force (more since you don't pull on very end). This is more than most folks can generate, hence need for "cheater pipe" to increase leverage to something like 3-feet, effectively halving the required pull.

An air impact wrench will usually work w/ repeated application. Warming nut w/ a torch will also help.

good luck
Is it good practice to loosen the axle nut before jacking up the front end to keep the wheel from turning?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

That is the plan. I don't remember what 1995 Accord Ex wheels are like, but if you can get to the axle nut with the wheel still on it ..it would help. I have taken the hub caps off and put the wheel back on without the hub caps(LX) and got the nut broke loose with the wheel on the ground. I have taken the wheel off and put the lugs back on two studs and put a bar across them that hit the ground then broke them loose. I have had someone step on the brake pedal while breaking the nut loose. I have never bothered trying to undo the staking as it doesn’t add much to the torque to undo the nuts. You just need to find a way to trap the wheel from moving and put a long pipe on a breaker bar. I used to take the handle off of my floor jack and use that. I have also put a deep 1/2” drive deep socket over the breaker bar handle and put an array of 1/2” extensions on it. Home Depot should have something you could use for an extension.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Do you have access to an aircompressor?

An aircompressor will make light work of this.

Or spray some WD40 or another rust penetrant and let it sit overnight.

The front axle nuts should not be that tight.

I would do yourself a favor and pick up an aircompressor, or an electric impact wrench.

Even a cordless 14.4 volt drill will make light work on tasks like this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!! Cant get front rotors off!!!!!