General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help!!! Cant get front rotors off!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So on my 91 Accord LX sedan, the brake rotors are only held on to the hub by the lug nuts (and perhaps 1 or 2 screws)?
I just purchased this car today, and I know it needs rotors. I have a new set of rotors to put on, and I found that I can't even pull the WHEELS off of the car, which means I can't even get to the rotors yet.
On the driver's side wheel, I got all 4 lug nuts off, but the wheel won't move off of the studs--I pulled on it straight, wobbled it...no movement that I could see. It spins just fine, though!
At first I thought it was that big axle nut holding the wheel on, but then I realized that could not be true (or else nobody would ever be able to change the tire!).
So, what could be the problem here?

Last edited by dmjole; 04-11-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The wheel is seized to the hub from corrosion. Most of the time you can hit the inside of the tire(I have long handle sedge) and it will break loose. If not put the lug nuts back on a couple of threads from threaded down all the way and drive it around and hit the brakes.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

90-97 accords have hub over rotors, you need to remove axle nut, and a few other things out of the way,, there is a write up in the DIY section

I would not drive the car and hit the brake with the lug nut in by a few threads as advised
what i have done and worked every single time,, wheel off the ground , install lug nut ( 1 will do ) and kick the tire off,, yes kick it off , the reason you put a lug nut barely on , is so wheel will not be flying off ........I have done it this way numerous times and it has worked every single time ........or as advised use a long sledge but DO NOT drive it ,, could bust off the wheel studs

Old 04-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by deserthonda
90-97 accords have hub over rotors, you need to remove axle nut, and a few other things out of the way,, there is a write up in the DIY section
But I can't even get the WHEEL off yet! Surely i don't need to remove the axle nut just to, say, change a flat tire!
I know that the tires on this care are new--purchased within the last month. SOMEBODY got these wheels off to change the tires recently, and so I don't think they would be rusted onto the hub. If I can't get the wheel off, then the rotors are a moot point.

As for the rotors themselves...Hub over Rotor!?
Aw, bummer...I misunderstood what I was reading, then. Looks like I might have to set up a date with a shop, or else invest in the socket, breaker bar and pipe to turn that sucker off.
I'll go have a look at that DIY section.
*return after searching the DIY forum* I don't see the rotor DIY...did I miss it, or what?

Last edited by dmjole; 04-11-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Here is the DIY writeup. It is on page 4 of the main DIY section.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ead.php?t=3094

If you got all four lug nuts off, then the tire should pull off. If not, then you will have to use some for to get the tire off of the hub. Try hitting the inside of the tire to knock the knuckle off of the hub.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

You're right, you don't have to remove the big axle nut to get the wheel off. Leave at least on lug nut on (really loose) as you're kicking the tire.

But then you will have to remove the axle nut in order to get the brake rotor off.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I've done the rotors on 90-97's quite a few times, yes they are a pita and without certain tools it really sucks. A quick breakdown of how I do them and tools that make it easier.

Tools: Impact wrench or breaker bar with a 36mm socket. A slide hammer. 14mm or 17mm 6 point socket. 3 pound sledgehammer

1) remove wheel, remove axle nut (36mm)
2) remove caliper and bracket
3) attach slide hammer and bang the hub/rotor off
4) once hub/rotor is off, remove bolts holding the rotor to the hub.
5) beat rotor mercilessly to remove from hub
6) bolt new rotor to hub
7) carefully(extra hands are helpful here) line up the hub in bearing and axle splines
8) drive hub in until you can get a couple threads on axle nut, carefully use axle nut to seat the hub/rotor
The rest is reassembly of the brakes. If your careful and clean it works great. Good luck, hope this helps

Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the links and the information folks--you've been extremely helpful with giving me the information I needed to decide what to do.
I'm going to take my car down to a local Honda shop and have them do it. I think the labor cost is worth the annoyance factor in this case.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 PM

PB Buster works great! little expensive like 5 bucks a can but works wonders. and its always good to have impact when doing anything with tires, just bought electric one for work and it wasnt too bad cost wise.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:20 PM

i use PB and a chisel.i chisel the entire outside ring of the nut off. soak it in pb then hit it with a breaker bar.if that doesn't work call local shop or a friend with air tools an be like hey spin this for me real quick.only down side is you might want to use new nuts.