General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose how I messed up my 92 accord - won't start :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 AM
dirkfisher
Unregistered
Default Help diagnose how I messed up my 92 accord - won't start :(

I get into the 1992 5 speed accord. I put the key in the lock cylinder. It's having trouble. I sort of jam it in. Car starts but the key seems jammed in the "last or mark iii" position (there are little marks on the cyclinder key position, I II and III). I try to remove the key but it is really jammed in there. I drive home for 10 minutes but the car just sort of sounds different engine wise. I park it and the car is still running of course; cannot get the key out - so I run in to get a 10mm wrench to disconnect the battery cable so as to stop the car from running (seemed logical at the time) - but when I come back out the car has stopped running. Key is still jammed in there and all the dash lights are on so again I fiddle with the key and hallelujah the key comes out.

BUT.

When I tried to restart the car and after fiddling and playing to get the key in - the engine does not turn over at all. The dash lights do come one but I'm not get that ignition or turn over of any kind. Also the key still has a hard time coming out of the cylinder.

What the heck did I do to my car?

What can I do to fix it? Is it a fuse? Did i break the cylinder key? Or did I break some wires inside the switch of the cylinder key if there exists such a thing? Could I have damaged my distributor or starter driving it home?

Please; any ideas really appreciated - since it's a long weekend there is no one I can call.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The key may be worn out and needs replacing w/ a new Honda-cut key.

It is also possible that your keyswitch assy is worn and making poor contact. Perhaps both problems are present.

Keyswitch assy is easily replaced by removing steering column cover and removing two security bolts (use sharp awl or chisel w/ hammer). I recently did this job and it's < 1 hr to fix.

good luck

Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 AM
dirkfisher
Unregistered

so by asssy you mean both the cylinder key lock and the switch inside?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No, the lock is separate from the switch assembly. Lock is connected to switches by a mechanical key which turns the switches. Switches wear/burn out leading to intermittent no-start or permanent no-start.

good luck