General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help/distributor...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Default help/distributor...

i have a 94 accord. recently but not very often, maybe once every few weeks my car wouldnt start when i first turn the key, it always has started on the first turn. so, i would sit and patiently turn the key til it started. yesterday while driving i noticed my wipers working slowly and the car started to sputter as if i were running out of gas. gas was not the issue. pulled over, tried to start, it would turn over and run as long as i held the key forward but would die as soon as i let the key back.
took it to a service station, they said it needed a new distributor, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs and wanted about $800 to fix it.
i bought the parts and installed them today, car doesnt run or at least stay running, if i keep the key held forward the engine runs and can be accelerated. but once i let go of the key, the engine stops.

any ideas?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds more like a faulty key switch,,,,,almost a classic description of one failing. Holding the key "slightly" forward and it will stay running. A pretty simple DIY if you choose to do so....If you have a volt meter there are a few tests that can be done to confirm the switch is bad.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:20 PM

Dear DavidC,

Sounds like a classic case of a guy that shaves his cool rockabilly haircut because his girlfriend likes bald guys and grows a scary beserker looking beard so his customers are afraid to be seated at his tables.

Can the switch be bypassed to get the car running by running a 12v power source? If so, what is the color coding for the ignition wire coming down from the switch?

Do we need to pull the steering wheel, depress the lock ring, pull pins and all that crazy stuff on this Honda or is the switch not to hard to access?

Many Thanks,
AB

-yeh Dave, this is your customers when they see the beard

Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 PM

Here Dave: Go fix you car tomorrow. Should take you about 15 minutes. Buy a switch. $30. Tell Cheesemans auto in Columbus, Ohio $800.00 is a little high for 15 minutes of labor.

How To Install Replace Ignition Switch Honda Accord Prelude Acura TL CL 94-98 1AAuto.com - YouTube

Bring a decent phillips, not that ice pick you kept handing me today.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 PM

gentlemen,

thank you very much for the input. im off first thing in the morning to purchase an ignition switch.
bug, thanks for the youtube link. looks so easy even a caveman could do it, so i'll give it a shot.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

That video shows the basic steps. There will be no bolt heads on the top of the ignition switch assembly. They will look like rivets. Hondas have a security feature where the bolts heads break off when you tighten them. You need to strike the side of rounded head to loosen the bolt.

See the videos in this thread. I think they are more accurate.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...youtube-43052/

Old 10-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

PLEASE take two minutes to test-key on, check for voltage at the blk/yel wire on the dist......when it is acting up, there will be none......

For the bolts, some will "cut" a slot into the head and then use a screw driver to remove-this all depends on tools handy and proper reach.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:44 PM

thanks to all for your help. i installed the ignition switch last friday and she started right up.
haven't had a problem since. i do need to flush/fill the radiator, hoping i can find some info for that here also.

thanks again.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

THANKS for the follow up, we like to know how things end up....

As far as the flush, if you don't find what you are looking for let us know...we might have different ideas and methods...but they should all work.