General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs distributor help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Default Newbie needs distributor help

I bought a used motor from a junkyard for my 94 accord. It doesnt have a distributor on it, but can someone tell me how to reset the timing and put it back in? I looked up some other threads but coldnt find an answer thanks guys

Old 09-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Default RE: Newbie needs distributor help

I believe that distributor only goes in one way, there should be a notch in the end of it where it goes into the motor that lines up with a piece inside the engine. Once you've got that in as long as your timing belt is installed properly then you just need a timing light to make the adjustments. You simply clip the light onto a spark plug wire and shine it at a small opening where the engine meets the tranny and there will be a mark that you shine the light at.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/D5342EFCF1F2424F94F9AA486CFA68F3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-30-2007, 12:28 AM

It was a long time ago when I changed the distributor on a civic I used to own, but if I remember correctly, the first time we put it in, it was 180 degrees out. I don't know if it's the same for the Accords though. So I think it on;y slides in one way, but it can be backwards causing you the same problem I had. Hope that makes sence. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Yes, it can be installed backwards (guess how I know!), but the distributor won't fully insert and it will feel awkward. It should slide in nice and easy w/ a little resistance from the oring seal on the distributor shaft.

good luck

Old 10-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

The shaft coming out of the distributor has a blade on it. That blade is offset a bit, so look at it & pay attention to which way it is. Then look inside the hole where it goes, the corresponding slot is offset to match. I've heard it's possible to put it in backwards,so you shouldlook at it & notice the offset.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM

so basically i just line the timing up at tdc and then install the distributor ? I dont see why i would need a timing gun. ??

Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Once you install the distributor, it'smounting boltsgo thruslotted holes. You still have to use a timing light to position the distributor within it's range of twisting adjustment. Lining up the blade correctly only prevents it from being completely backwards.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Im bored so another vote here, YES it can go in 180 out, as mentioned, look very close to how the blade is offset and you wont get it wrong, you do not need to go to TDC prior to inserting it, it would be easier with the cap off so you can move the rotor shaft a hair but you can get it in if you put a little hair around the hole, just pay close attention to the offset and YES the dizzy is adjutable so warm it all the way up and no fans and no accessories and set the timing.

Side note, it is also possible to get a perfectly looking correct dizzy but the pin through the shaft that holds the blade gear at the base may be drilled less than 90 degrees off (because its actually made for a different engine) and you would need to adjust plug wires around and be way off to one side with your timing. Hopefully you wont have this issue and you will get the correct dizzy, are you going to get a used one or a dealer sub assy and AZ essentials.