General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help identifying transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Default Help identifying transmission problems

I have a 99 Honda Accord V6 A/T, it has 116k on it.

Car was running perfectly fine on my way to the mountains, as I was driving down the side of a mountain, instead of engaging the brakes I decided to downshift to 3rd. Little did I know I was still in cruise control. I did this twice as when I did it the first time I failed to realize what had happened.

When doing this the car jerked very badly. Now the car is having trouble shifting in all gears except into reverse. The shift into gear is extremely rough, shuttering, and hard. I have done some reading, some people have tried different method, this morning I started with flushing the fluid, I also added some Lucas Trans fix into the mixture as well. Still no luck.

When it does decide to shift, the car will pause around 2500 RPM "think" and then decide to slam into gear.

Please help, I am in no financial stability to replace my transmission.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding my problem.

-Nick

Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

I've moved this to Gen Tech as I think it fits better here.

First thing I will suggest is to take it to a parts store and have them scan for codes. If there are any get the actual code from them, not their description. The code(s) will begin with a "P" and then four digits.

When you changed the fluid, what type of fluid was used?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
I've moved this to Gen Tech as I think it fits better here.

First thing I will suggest is to take it to a parts store and have them scan for codes. If there are any get the actual code from them, not their description. The code(s) will begin with a "P" and then four digits.

When you changed the fluid, what type of fluid was used?
I have taken it to a parts store to scan for codes, no codes were read, which makes me believe that the solenoids are still good.

I run Valvoline DEX/MERC, I have always run it with no problems, which leads me to believe that the fluid has nothing to do with what has happened.

-Nick

Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 AM

DO NOT USE DEX/MERC on your car!!!!! these transmissions need to be fed ATF-Z1 ONLY.

Shifting your trans to D3 while in

Last edited by Silver6gen; 12-11-2012 at 12:46 PM.