General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 Accord Odometer Units

Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Default 2008 Accord Odometer Units

Hi Everyone,

I just recently moved from Montreal, Canada to the Portland, Oregon.

I have a 2008 Accord EX-L with Navigation and was wondering if anyone knew how to change the odometer units from km to miles?

I went to the dealer for an oil change and they had a very hard time understanding how to convert the km to miles and they were suggesting maintenance to me which occurs at the wrong mileage.

I also asked them if it was possible to convert the units...and they told me to look on google!

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. I know legally i do not have to change the odometer, i was just wondering if it were possible to avoid issues like this in the future.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

A different gauge control module (aka instrument cluster) may be needed to change miles to km. The gauge control module is a different part number for Canadian and European Accords vs. U.S. Accord.

The Honda Canada dealer would need to rewrite odo data with HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) on the different gauge control module. There may be some hoops for the dealer to jump through even with the different gauge control module, as the VIN is generally needed to be entered in HDS during the rewrite process.

For maintenance intervals, you can follow the maintenance minder, and the codes listed in the owner's manual. If you want something changed a little earlier, you can request the service to be performed; transmission fluid is one thing I recommend changing at more frequent intervals than what is specified with the maintenance minder and owner's manual.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

It is possible that Canadian provincial regulations may not allow the dealer to do a U.S. to Canada odometer rewrite.