General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

acceleration problems, engine dies!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Default acceleration problems, engine dies!

I am not sure if this should be posted here or not, but I recently rebuilt the front end of my 96 LX accord. everything went well enough considering I put the wrong front end onto my car (6cly front end on a 4cyl car...what, I only took 1/2 of the front and there wasn't and engine in the other car to know what size it was...really). But I am not having issues. It has gotten really bad after my last gas fill up, so I have a theory it is either the fuel pump or fuel filter. But this is my problem.

I cannot accelerate quickly without the engine dying...or rather it doesn't die because I don't need to start it again. (or maybe it is?) the MPH and RPM gauges drop completely and the engine light goes off (yes, it is always on, and when the motor dies the light goes off)...it also acts like I put it into a low gear from a high gear. (think of going from 4th to 2nd very quickly without and compensating, it throws you forward and it makes you look like you cannot drive!) So it happens mostly in 1st gear, but it will happen in 2nd and 3rd as well, though I've not seen it happen in 4th and 5th gear. When it happens I hear a clicking noise under the dash, like behind the tachometer cluster.

What is the first thing I should have checked out before replacing things? questions? Comments? Advice?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 AM

here is my other thread...has more back information than I can really type at the moment.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

I'd like to know what codes are stored in the ECU before going any further. the 96 will read both so if the car can not run then get any OBD-I codes that come up.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 PM

This sounds like a bad ground / bad alternator. But it is hard to tell from the description.

When you did the front end replacement did you make sure to put the ground wires in the right spots? Did you clean / gently sand the contact points a bit before putting them in? The clicking under the dash worries me, IMO that would be arcing causing a short. If this is happening to something that is effecting your ECU or TCM it can cause your car to run very erratically.