General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!Left headlight very dim and high beam indicator on the dash is not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Default HELP!!!Left headlight very dim and high beam indicator on the dash is not working

Hi Everyone. I would like to start by thanking everyone who contributes to this forum. I am new to this forum and if a similar thread exists, please direct me to it. I have tried getting help on a few other forums but with no luck.
I own a 2000 honda accord EX sedan with a V6 engine and automatic transmission. I was driving home 3 days ago at night and suddenly the driver side high-beam and the high-beam indicator in the dash went out on me. I pulled over and switched back to low-beam. The driver side headlight became very dim on both bulbs in that headlight while the passenger side was fine. So Here is what I did the next day to tackle this issue. I swapped out both bulbs on the driver side headlight with both bulbs on the passenger side headlight and that did not work. I checked all the fuses in the vehicle (engine compartment, driver side interior and passenger side interior) and they were all OK. Then I checked the relays on the passenger side engine compartment and they were all good. I then got a brand new headlight switch installed and that still didn't change anything. I even installed a new battery and that didn't help either. The last thing to check is the wiring and I am really trying to avoid that (what a pain in the butt!!!) Folks I really need your help on this. Step by step instructions and a diagram would be very helpful. I am handy and somewhat mechanically literate. I have an Ohm reader and a tester light. Does anyone have any ideas for me on what to check and where to start? Thank you.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

I would find the ground for the driver-side wire harness. It is bolted to the driver-side metal bumper or right above or below. It will be a metal plate with several (5-8) black wires going to it. Just remove the bolt and clean the bolt and hole in the metal bracket with a wire brush or sand paper. Clean any corrosion off the bumper or frame with a wire brush. Then reattach.

This should fix your problem. It sounds complicated, but it took me 15 minutes on my 95 accord when I had a similar problem.

Here is a picture from a 94 accord to give you an idea of what the ground look like.