General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! My car won't shift into gears!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Before removing the transmission, check whether the speedometer shows anything. Put it "in-gear" with the stick, let out the clutch pedal, & watch the speedometer.

If an axle has simply popped out of the differential, the speedometer will still indicate a speed.

But don't hold your breath. I think if the axle popped out, it would probably leak transmission-oil & you would've noticed that.

Ok. I checked it just now and when I put it in first gear and let the clutch out, the speedometer moves up. The car does not move out at all...it's as if it was in neutral. But I tapped the accelerator a lil bit and I saw the speedometer moving up in mph.

Also, I hear a noise like "Clunk, clunk, clunk"...as if something is moving but not sticking or broken.

I'll have to bring it to a mechanic because although I could do things like brakes, alternator, tune-up, I can't do any major work, especially without any right tools.

I hope it's nothing major but even if it is, I'll fix it because the car was running flawlessly right before this incident. Only thing it needed was AC recharge so I plan on keeping her for a while.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Each axle "snaps" into the transmission. So in principle the fix is to take the inboard end of the axle & jam it in towards the transmission until it clicks into place.

If it doesn't click, then someday (maybe a week, month or maybe longer) it will come out of the transmission just a couple mm and that will disengage it.

Still can't absolutely rule out something really broken inside the transmission. But the first thing your mechanic should try is snapping the axle in properly.