General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please: 94 accord overheating!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Default Help please: 94 accord overheating!!!

What's up everybody! New member, but been following posts for a little while. Lowdown - 94 accord lx 4 cylinder automatic overheating. Troubleshot known problems, replaced radiator cap, no leaks, and both fans work. Temperature instantly goes to running temp from a cold start and after about 5-10 minutes of running the temp steadily moves up to the red line and stays there. Unsure of what it could be, pulling my hair out at this point.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Could it be a faulty temp sensor? (just an idea)

Welcome to the forum.

Walt

Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and make sure coolant is filled to the top of the radiator. Some parts stores have a radiator pressure tester with an adapter that will fit where the radiator cap seals the radiator. The radiator should hold about 15psi.

When temperature gauge starts rising, do both radiator fans turn on?

Start the car and turn on the a/c. Do both fans turn on? When the engine is hot, feel both radiator hoses to see if they are the same temperature. The hoses are hot, so be careful not to burn yourself.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Honda4me - Thanks for the welcome. Not sure if it is a faulty sensor or anything technical at this point. I am a pretty mechanically "declined" kind of guy, lol. How would i go about checking sensors or such in very laymans terms? All help and info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

PAhonda
- I checked the radiator level when it was cold and the fluid levels were good. i only had to add a little more antifreeze when the thermostat was changed because of the minimal loss, and yes (i know you are wondering) the system was bled of air after replacing t-stat.

Both fans do come on, the driver side fan comes on when the ac is turned on. Is both fans supposed to come on automatically when the temp rises even with the AC off

Checked the hoses with the car running, the top hose is warm/hot to the touch but the bottom hose is more on the "cool to the touch" side. Hope i just made sense. Hope i am painting a pretty good picture of the situation. All help and info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Both fans should turn on when the a/c is turned on. I can't remember if both turn on when the radiator needs to be cooled.

From what you are describing with the temperature difference between the two hoses it sounds like a stuck closed thermostat or a clog in the radiator. A bad water pump is possible, but that is the last item you want to consider.

Did you use a thermostat from the Honda dealership?

Maybe use some of the radiator flush to remove any mineral deposits in the system. Maybe inspect the radiator for damage to the fins and lightly spray the fins with water to remove and dirt built up on it and the a/c condenser.