General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with replacing small details in my new 1999 accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Default Help with replacing small details in my new 1999 accord

I just got my new accord. On most every used car, there are the small detail that will bug the hell out of you, just because they don't work. Here's what i need to fix.

1) Left map light light is out. I think it may even be the button you push, because it doesn't even make the little "click" sound when you press it. I have looked at many wholesale part websites and cannot find a replacement piece for the map lights. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? I checked ebay as well.

2) The backlight to the dash clock is burnt out. I have read that this is a very common problem on accords. I've tried Napa and Pepboys, and they don't have the right kind of bulb for the clock so I think I am going to have to get one from the Honda dealer. My question is how do I replace it? Does the entire clock housing come out of the dash asa whole and if so, how do i remove it?

3) The driver's side flip down mirror is broken. The actuall sun blocker is fine, but the plastic piece covering the inserted mirror is broken. Anyone know where I could find a new one? This piece was also not on any of the wholesale sites or ebay.

One last thing, I am wanting to replace the map lights, interior dome light, and possibly the clock backlight with blue ones. How would I go about doing this and how difficult is it to change them to LEDs?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 PM
pwr
Default RE: Help with replacing small details in my new 1999 accord

I just changed my clock backlight. I made it a bigger deal than it was because the clock lens was etched and I had to disassemble the whole thing to polish it out, but I got to know the thing pretty well.

You can find the bulb at a Radio Shack for about a quarter but it won't have a base on it. It was worth it to me to pay the dealer $3.00 instead of changing the bulb on the base, which is like 1/8" diameter. Unless you have mouse-sized hands or you can tie bowknots with tweezers, you'll probably find it worth the price to pay the dealer too.

The clock inded just pops out of the dash. Put a piece of masking tape on the dash bezel under the clock so you won't mar it when you gently pop it out with a screwdriver. Once the bottom loosens you can just pull it out. You'll see the indentation for the bulb. It's a quarter-turn bayonet mount.

Other items--you'll be time and money ahead to find the other stuff at a wrecking yard. Dunno why you'd want to lose the functionality of your maplights for a silly vanity mod, but it's your car.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Default RE: Help with replacing small details in my new 1999 accord

...what are you talking about? I need to fix the left map light because it is broken...