General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Stuck in second gear after changing solenoids :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Default Help! Stuck in second gear after changing solenoids :(

Hi guys

I'm pretty frustrated. I bought a Honda Accord 91 and was having problems with the transmission since then. First I got the S4 light and the car wouldn't shift out of the first gear. So I changed the speed sensor and after that it worked fine for 800miles, allthough it shifted hard. But I heard this is normal with these cars.

One week ago it started having problems shifting into the second gear. It felt like it has not the power to shift and then it would just slip. That didn't happen all the time. Driving on the freeway was also fine (once the car was in gear 3/4). Today I changed the transmission solenoids hoping that would fix it. After that change it is stuck in the second gear. That means it starts driving in the second gear and doesn't shift up.

Has someone an idea what the problem might be? I lost some transmission fluid, but when I look at the level it seems fine. I checked it with a warm motor.

Would be very grateful for help.

Thanks
Alex

Old 02-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Are you still getting the flashing S light? (or D4, can't remember which).

If yes, check for codes. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum on checking engine codes. Transmission codes use the same process.

Did you use new solenoids or used? From the dealer or aftermarket, if know?

Old 02-23-2014, 02:46 AM

Thanks Pahonda for your answer.

I get no S light. It's just stuck in the second gear which is the gear that was in there yesterday when it slipped and I turned it of. The weird thing is that R works, but if I do D4,D3,2,1 its always the second gear.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'd check for codes anyway; cost, a paperclip and 5 minutes of your time.

After checking for codes. Re-set the ECU/TCU by pulling the fuse or removing the battery cables.

Recheck your work. Be sure the connectors are clean and tight to the solenoids.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 PM

I get no code. I also disconnected the battery for a couple of times. It's stuck in the second gear (limp home mode?). Will try another TCU.

Could an internal damage cause that? I mean it accelerates fine and doesnt slip in the second gear.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Could be the tcu, you can pull it and open it up and look for blow caps.

Since it was "somewhat" working and then you changed the solenoids and now you have a "worse" issue....again check your work. I've seen a few of these where the connector(s) to the solenoids get dirty/broken/loose and cause issues.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 AM

Found the issue. Replaced the Solenoids with used ones and the seller seemed to have switched the cables in the pin.

Thanks you all!