General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with timing!!! please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:58 PM
hrevo2000
Unregistered
Default help with timing!!! please help!!!

ok so i got a accord with low miles good body free. i knew it needed a head gasket and a timing belt. i get the gasket set for 50 from www.jiseninge.com great site i go buy a belt and a new balance shaft belt. i line up all markers on all shafts crank cam and balance shafts. put both belts on tension it. and when i go to start its front firing. and will not run. i did switch 1-4 and 3-2 firing order to 4-1-2-3 and it ran rough but ran. it will only run with the backwards firing order and i dont know what to do or what im missing. i try taking it all back to top dead center and redoing but will only run when the firing order is set how i said. what else am i not doing or am i doing wrong? please email me hrevo2000@aol.com if you have any ideas thanks!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: help with timing!!! please help!!!

first off,, chk to make sure that the cam timing is correct ... there is a write up on the DIY section to help you out ....also i am assuming you are talking about the plug wires on the cap ??? the firing order is 1-3 4-2 ..there should be a # 1 or an a stamped on the cap for # 1 ..go clockwise from there ..
finally.....input year and model in your signature ,, it makes it easier for us to help you

Old 11-30-2008, 12:24 AM
hrevo2000
Unregistered

sorry i have a 1990 accord lx. 2.2l and sorry i meant 1-3-4-2 and i made it 3-1-2-4 and it would run. i lined up the camshaft with the mark up facing up aswell as the 2 marks on each side with the top of the plastic cover like the haynes manual says. i basically did everything the book says i dont know where i went wrong unless straight down isnt 1 cyl on the dizzzy. i will go look for the number mark and make sure i got it right

Old 11-30-2008, 12:52 AM
hrevo2000
Unregistered

and i did use the diy section as long as the haynes manual while installing the belts. more info on car. i got it with everything already takin apart head exhaust manifold etc... so the rear balance shaft wasnt stationary and the rest of the pulleys and such got moved around so alot of the info in the diy section and the book was if you took it apart this way you do it like this...not ok so it was taken apart and you dont know where it was left at so you do these things

Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

For timing, the cam and crankshaft belts need to be aligned. When you align the cam to the cylinder head, make sure that the arrow on the crankshaft pulley is pointing up at the timing mark. The distributor rotor should be pointing to #1 on the distributor cap. I can't remember where the distributor rotor should point on a 90 accord. There is a 91 shop manual in the spoon honda link in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section.

Here is a link showing the timing marks.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_2..._2/key_/tm.htm

As for the balance belts, there are two pulleys that you will have to align. The front pulley has a mark on the shaft, and the rear pulley has an access hole on the back of the engine block. A 1/4 inch drill bit will fit into there. When the rear belt is aligned, the drill bit will slide all the way in there and keep that pulley locked. Do not forget to remove that bit.

Here is a YouTube video I just found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmasxgJdXJ8

He just kept the sprockets in place. I aligned mine up to TDC when I do my TB.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
hrevo2000
Unregistered

yea thanks for the help everyone... its turns out the haynes manual is misleading with the firing order diagram...it showed bottom plug wire being #1 but a alldata diagram showed it was the one facing front and that was the problem.....then after i get the alternator power steering pump belts,radiator battery tray. i put coolant in it and it just comes out from behind the timing cover so now it also has a bad water pump. so if anyone wants to buy an accord let me know. i dont want to invest anymore

Old 12-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It is dispiriting when problems like this arise, however I've found that never giving up is your best investment in your time/money. It can be fixed if you are persistent.

Your primary investment to replace the water pump is labor to remove timing and balance shaft belts again. Also check your TB tensioners while doing this work. Tensioners are almost 19 yrs old now and if never replaced, they should have bearings at least cleaned and repacked. Water pump is not expensive, even OEM last I checked. Aftermarket pumps are available for~ $50.

good luck