General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 1992 Timing Belt Question, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:39 PM
92WONDER
Unregistered
Default Another 1992 Timing Belt Question, please help.

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and was wondering if I could ask for your opinions, suggestions and advice?

I have owned my 1992 Honda Accord LX for about 2 years now, with approximately 480,000 miles on the odometer, the car runs incredibly well with no problems and often "WONDER" how this car has lasted this long?
thus my user name "92WONDER".

I am at the point where I need to change my timing belt, the question is, should I invest the money to do a proper TB change on this car which has so many miles? or save my money and buy a rebuilt motor, or good lower mileage motor?

If the answer is to do the TB change: I have looked through other threads on this site to determine what is needed for a proper TB change and this is the list that I have come up with. (can anyone think of anything else needed)

1. Timing Belt
2. Balance Belt
3. Water Pump
4. Camshaft Seal
5. Balance Shaft Seal
6. Balance Shaft Seal Retainer Plate
7. Main Crankshaft Seal
8. Oil Gear Ring Seal
9. Power Steering & Accessory Drive Belts. (2)
10. Balance Belt Idler Pulley Bearing
11. Timing Belt Idler Pulley Bearing
11. Coolant

Also what could or should I expect to pay for all of these items at the Local Honda dealership??

And lastly, if you believe that I should save my money to buy a lower mileage motor or rebuilt motor, where would you recommend me looking?, I am located in Riverside, California.

Thanks so much for your guidance and glad to be a new member of Honda Accord Forum.

Jason...

Old 02-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If this engine is running well, I would replace the TB. A used engine will have some element of uncertainty in performance and longevity, not matter how careful your purchase.

Your list appears complete.

How much at Honda dealership? I have heard numbers from $700-1000 from different areas. Labor rates vary a good deal across the country.

You should be able to save some money by purchasing parts yourself, and asking for labor quotations from several shops that you vet for good work record; history of honda TB work, satisfactory BBB record (no unresolved complaints), and willingness to provide labor-only quote. Shops will miss a markup on the parts which may run to 100% so they will make up some of that loss w/ additional labor margin. Every job has risks of going off the rails, so a margin to accomplish the job is essential.

I have found rockauto.com to provide very good parts prices and excellent response/service. They made good to me on a mistake in their listing w/o complaints or evasions. You can also find package deals for most of these parts on ebay at good prices, but some have not liked the quality. I have used parts from ebay vendors w/o problems however. You can't go wrong w/ Honda OEM parts.

good luck

Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

valve cover gasket, upper spark plug tube seals