General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitant to get Takata Airbag Recall Done

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Default Hesitant to get Takata Airbag Recall Done

Both the Accord and I35 in my sig are a part of the campaign. I'm worried the dealer will do the recall and mess up something else in the process. This happened to me with the ignition interlock recall on my Accord. They did the repair and afterwards my key kept getting stuck in the ignition and not come out. After fighting tooth-and-nail with the dealer, they finally agreed to fix it. I've read around and people with other cars said things like the horn stopped working after they had the recall done. Supposedly different connectors need to be removed to access the airbag and they break due to age in the process. Of course, the dealer said too bad and left people out to dry.

It's funny it took them 13 yrs to realize the airbags were faulty. Most eligible cars are probably in the junkyard by now. What do you guys think?

Old 01-31-2015, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Personally I think you're overthinking it; I'll be taking my 2001 Accord in for the recall, however, before dropping off the car I'll be sure to have the service manager confirm, in writing, the Cruise Control, Horn, Audio Controls, Key Cylinder, and anything else which might be impacted, are all in operable condition.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:33 PM

They will doing lots of them. The first one might be tricky, but after a while the mechanic will get great it. I could be wrong, but replacing the airbag should be simple, just unplug the wiring and plugging it back in. Maybe I'll watch it on YouTube.

That said, I understand you apprehension.