General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey guys I need help 1992 honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Default Hey guys I need help 1992 honda accord

I recently paid 1,000 dollars for a 1992 Honda accord automatic. It ran great for a week. I tried driving in the other drives, 3, 2, 1 and then noticed that my transmission was not so smooth anymore. The RPMS go all the way to 4,000 before switching over to second. Unless I take my foot off the gas then it will switch over.

Shortly after this problem began getting worse I was on the expressway and noticed my RPM NEEDLE bouncing all over the place then my power cuts out in the middle of expressway. I barely got home and had to drive real slow.
All the reading I did on the web said it was likely a distributor issue. I replaced the whole distributor and now I cannot get the car to fire up at all.

two questions

1. What is the correct plug to distributor order. I read online that it was 1, 3, 4, 2. This is not working though. Maybe the info was wrong or the part defective. Did I maybe fail to do something I should have? I am a complete novice at this and am very frustrated.

2. Are the transmission and rpms issues linked? Will fixing the distributor likely solve my transmission issue or are they unrelated? Keep in mind this was a sudden change in my cars performance.

I did the paperclip trick and got a code 15 for the engine and a code 15 for the transmission.

For the engine code 15 was power output.

For the tranny the code is for "kick down switch short circuited"<<<This code only applies to some models though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Ooh, I never deal with obd1 but here it goes.

as far as I know the cylinder order is correct.

Heres what I found
htf do you fix code 15 - Honda-Tech

and this
ftp://80.252.154.251/comps_arch/asus.../m_di_0247.pdf

you have an electrical issue it seems

and then the basics:

When you buy a car that old what I would recommend is changing all the fluids. Genuine honda transmission fluid and oil. Transmission fluid levels are essential for a proper working auto transmission since thats what really transfers the power.

Check your timing since you changed the dizzy.

again I never deal with anything earlier that 5th gens but im thinking timing and electrical. and also follow the troubleshooting procedure for the distributor.

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 06-24-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

The firing order IS 1-3-4-2. But there's a couple things to keep in mind...

Cylinder #1 is always the "front" of the engine, which is the end with the external drive belts. So they are arranged across the engine as follows:
(transmission) 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 (alternator belts)

As you stand by the right-front wheel looking at the distributor, the distributor spins clockwise - the opposite direction vs. many other engines. There is USUALLY some kind of mark at the #1 position, maybe "A" molded into the plastic distributor cap. Clockwise from there.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Following link indicates TCU 15 is NM speed sensor fault. Easy fix.

Need Accord TCM/TCU codes - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Also see following link suggesting faulty TCU board may be root of problem.

Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.

good luck

Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Engine code and transmission code are both 15? Seems like an interesting coincidence but shouldn't be related.

Engine code 15 is "ignition output signal". That's the circuit where the ECM tells the ignitor to fire the coil. Bad ignitor or bad wiring between ECM and distributor.