General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi new here, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

that price ( $ 390 ) is to bait you to get in,,very misleading ,,it is only to replace the t-belt and maybe balancer belt ,,,,,,find out how much extra they charge to replace water pump, new coolant , all the seals ( cam, crank, balancer, oil pump, valve cover gasket ) and the outer belts

which by the way i strongly recommend that you replace if you are doing a timing belt job

Last edited by deserthonda; 07-06-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by deserthonda
that price ( $ 390 ) is to bait you to get in,,very misleading ,,it is only to replace the t-belt and maybe balancer belt ,,,,,,find out how much extra they charge to replace water pump, new coolant
You are likely correct, Teaser!. They would use the "Available Balance Detector" and I would be eating Tuna Sandwiches for the next 90 days to get back on budget!
The dealer does have an Oil and filter special, 29.95 with 30 point inspection, I was thinking that the inspection at the dealer can give me some idea of a list of priorities.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Nah...
The list from the dealer won't tell you priorities.

Post up the list & we can suggest which ones are urgent. Which ones are urgent but easy enough for you do to yourself. Which ones can wait a couple months. Which ones are BS. Or at least we can help you decide.

Timing belt is important. You don't know the maintenance history, right? You can't really inspect a timing belt 'cause it'll look quite good a month before it breaks. Gotta go by 100k miles or 7 years (whatever your owner's manual says - don't trust my memory). Broken timing belt leads to pistons hitting the valves which is really NOT a good thing.

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-06-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I did some more phoning around with the VIN # to the 4 nearby Honda Dealers and got these prices for Timing Belt replacement, water pump, balancer belt Parts and Labor.

Dealer #1, $580.00+ Sales Tax Ray Laks 14224
Dealer #2, $499.99+ Don Davis Autoworld 14226
Dealer #3, $489.99+ West Herr Honda Lockport ny
Dealer #4, $825.00+ includes all accessory drive belts. Lia Honda Williamsville NY
Pep Boys Franchise $764+ 14219

Dealer #4 also has all the service records, the service writer looked my car up using the VIN and gave me a summary of the services done since 2005.
Now I know that there is no record of the TB service

Last edited by MysticBlueEX; 09-03-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

dealer # 2 and 3 ,, sounds real cheap for a timing belt kit,, using all honda parts .....
but if they replace all 4 belts, ( timing, balancer, alt, p/s)water pump, coolant and all seals ( cam, balancer, crank, valve cover gasket ) PARTS AND LABOR .... JUMP on it ASAP..........
..Honestly,,, it is hard for me to believe that a Honda dealer will do it for so cheap

Last edited by deserthonda; 09-03-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Here is the link to the published internet price at West Herr Honda Lockport NY, it does not say anything about balancer belt or drive belts, Lia Honda was the only dealer I spoke with that was quoting the everything and more, the Complete Job

No direct live links allowed in your posts..type in with out the www in your post...Thanks

I can't see any reason that the Honda Dealer would not use Honda parts, do you?

Right now I need to save $200! wife back in college and all so I am going to get the written estimates to compare the actual services that are included in the quoted prices. No sense getting half the job done. I need to bargin this one and and pinch the penny till it squeals!

Also, I can't go into it thinking it's 500 and end up with 900.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I am in NJ. I went to Honda dealer a couple months ago. The price for timing belt, balance belt, power steering belt, compressor belt, water pump is $859. They said they will inspect tesioner and all seals, it needs to replace, I need to to pay extra, I remember $59 for each seal. The dealer can give me 10% off, I went home and find 15% off coupon. So dealer #4 gave you a more reasonable price quote.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Default Hi Member

Originally Posted by MysticBlueEX
Here is the link to the published internet price at West Herr Honda Lockport NY, it does not say anything about balancer belt or drive belts, Lia Honda was the only dealer I spoke with that was quoting the everything and more, the Complete Job

No direct live links allowed in your posts..type in with out the www in your post...Thanks

I can't see any reason that the Honda Dealer would not use Honda parts, do you?

Right now I need to save $200! wife back in college and all so I am going to get the written estimates to compare the actual services that are included in the quoted prices. No sense getting half the job done. I need to bargin this one and and pinch the penny till it squeals!

Also, I can't go into it thinking it's 500 and end up with 900.
PLEASE follow the posting rules for us..Thank You!

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Hi new here, advice?-maskedeagle.png