General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord 1987 LXI Fuel Injector -- Water leak in drivers side on floor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Default Honda Accord 1987 LXI Fuel Injector -- Water leak in drivers side on floor.

Hello,

As titled above, when ever it rains, there is a puddle of water leak on the drivers side floor. It is water. My car has a sun roof, but feeling around there seems to be no leak. Heck, I always keep my sunroof cover on, and thats not wet so IT can't be that.The floor beside the acceleration pedal and brake pedal are slightly less damp, but the floor infront of the driver chair is soaked wet! Can someone give me a vague place to check where the water might be comming from? I felt the whole floor level, and I have absolutely no idea where this water might be coming from!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM

my accord, as well as many, many others I have seen in the scrap yard, all have cracks and like dents in the floor boards where your feet rest. It does sit low, but I cant imagine all these cars have hit bottom in those areas... however anything is possible...

maybe pull back the carpet... if you see any cracks in the floor maybe grab some seam sealer from your local <professional> automotive supply store and seal the cracks in the floor... OR some good ol gorillia glue and duck tape.. then lay the carpet back down....

im just thinking maybe its possible its coming up from the floor..??

Just a thought....GL!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

oh, a 3rd gen LX-i with a water leak....let me guess, if the car is parked downhill you get water thru the sun/moon roof when it "slopes up"....anyway

There are four drain tubes at each corner of the sun/moon roof. From what you describe-start with pulling the "mud flap" and inner plastic fender from the wheel well-not the whole thing, just enough to get between the tire and door-drivers side. Find the "drian tube" coming out ..it is higher up than you think...take something soft (weed eater line, zip tie, ect) and see if you can clean out the tube/spout....if that doesn't do the trick,,,let me know. The next part is not fun.

To add, check the other three drains as well-front right/pass side same proc. For the rear two-they are between the rear fender and body.....but the same proc as finding them and cleaning the "drain".

Last edited by poorman212; 02-07-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: I still can't spell.....
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 PM

So I tried looking in the wheel arch, but I see no drain hole. Is there a detailed picture for the sunroof drains for a car like my model and where can I see this? Is this available in the Hanes manual.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Prob not. If you did not remove/move the inner fender-plastic piece(LXi should have mud flaps-four/six screws/metal-then for the plastic fender-?? three ~ five more placstic/push in screws?- you'll never see the front drains...it helps to pull the tire off as well. I'll look around on-line-you can as well- if not I can take pic's this weekend..of course I'm known for not being good at posting/attaching pic's.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Prob not. If you did not remove/move the inner fender-plastic piece(LXi should have mud flaps-four/six screws/metal-then for the plastic fender-?? three ~ five more placstic/push in screws?- you'll never see the front drains...it helps to pull the tire off as well. I'll look around on-line-you can as well- if not I can take pic's this weekend..of course I'm known for not being good at posting/attaching pic's.
Why would the drains be tightly hidden behind the mudflaps + fender...? Does the general screwdriver do the trick? So I know what you mean by mud flaps, but is the inner fender also black rubber?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 PM

Oh dear my trunk is wet too ... Could this be one of the rear sunroof drain-tubes? Also, Danny, I'll be sure to double check if my floor has cracks... but if it did have cracks wouldn't the water get down as easy it gets up lol?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Most LXi 's have mud flaps-that is what I call them. The inner fender is in the wheel well. It is black plastic-thing. I'm attaching a pic-I hope- that has a circle about where the sun roof drain comes thru the inner metal part of the fender. You have to get behind the "plastic inner fender" to get to it.

The screw driver thing coming up under the mud flap is not the drain/opening causing the water inside the left/drivers side. IMO

You can see this from inside the car-I'm not going to take a pic of this unless you REALLY need it-PITA as I already said in my first response-"The next part is not fun". You'll need to peal down the carpet-below the under dash fuse box-Then look forward of that fuse box-you should somewhat see the power ant motor (I think moving the wire harn bolt under the carpet helps get those out of the way for better access/view). There is a clear tube (?3/8~1/2 inch dia) coming down the windshield pillar-there is also a small clear tube from the power ant motor- BOTH of these clear tubes connect to a small black rubber "grommet"....this is where I'm betting the clog is. What happens is that it becomes blocked and the water backs up and then drips out (inside the car) where the clear tube and grommet connect.

Ok, now for water in the trunk-Is it "in the middle" or towards the sides. In the middle, almost 100% sure the tail light gaskets are leaking. If on the side, 50/50 shot on either the rear sun roof drains I mentioned or STILL can be the tail light gaskets. For the drains...clean them. For the gaskets, remove the tail light(s)-(~four 8mm nuts). Then clean the body/metal side of the surface-either put new gaskets on the tail light or apply sealant to the light and install.

EDIT: Hey I think I'm getting the hang of the pic thing...poorman is proud of this pic

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord 1987 LXI Fuel Injector -- Water leak in drivers side on floor.-wheel-well2.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 02-09-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Alright thanks! And for the trunk, its on the sides with very little water.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Honda Enthusiast
Alright thanks! And for the trunk, its on the sides with very little water.
Ok, with that I will lean more towards the tail light gaskets than the rear roof drains.....again, I can't be 100% sure. Just trying to narrow it down based upon info given.

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 1987 LXI Fuel Injector -- Water leak in drivers side on floor.