General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord 1987 LXI Fuel Injector -- Water leak in drivers side on floor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 AM

What screwdriver do I need to remove the internal fender? I don't need to remove the mudflap though right?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

The rear sunroof drain tubes stick into some kind of plastic fitting at the bottom. Check whether they have come loose & draining onto the trunk floor?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Honda Enthusiast
What screwdriver do I need to remove the internal fender? I don't need to remove the mudflap though right?
For the front drains you will need a phillips screw driver. Yes the mud flap will need to come off as it covers part of the bottom of the plastic inner fender.----part #12 of the pic from Jim is where the clog is-or at least hope-if it is those clear tubes inside the car, they are a pain. Taking the tire off will help, I just turn the wheel to one side or the other to gain better access.

As far as the rear drain(s)-you can get to those from under the car, again use something soft (weed eater line, zip tie, ect) to clean those. The attached-if it works- is a pic of the left/drivers rear drian. I tried to circle it but didn't do so well. Look to the right of the white plastic piece. It's between the side of the plastic fender and the metal body.

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord 1987 LXI Fuel Injector -- Water leak in drivers side on floor.-3rd-gen-lxi-r-drain.jpg   Honda Accord 1987 LXI Fuel Injector -- Water leak in drivers side on floor.-3rd-gen-lxi-r-drain2.jpg  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM

I'm going to get to work on this whenever I have time. Thanks for both of your help!

Is there a Drainol liquid, which is safe for car point, where I just pour over the sunroof so it goes through the drain tubes and eliminate with whatever buildup is in the tubes?

Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Don't use anything like Drano drain cleaner. Caustic chemicals work against hair-***** & hardened soap like you'd find in a sink drain. They don't dissolve the kind of stuff you might find in the sunroof drains. And they'll probably promote bad corrosion.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

The rear two drains, 15 mins for both tops....5~10 of that is finding them but I hope the pic will save most if not all of that. Again, still a 50/50 shot in the rear drains or tail light gaskets causing the water in the trunk.

The front two, the first time- maybe an hour or so? Again most of that is just finding all of the phillips screws (5 or 6-sad I can't remember things better) for the mud flap. Then deciding to do it with or without the tire on. First time I pulled the tire(s), after that I figured out how to get there without pulling the tire.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Quick question,

Where exactly is the top of the sunroof drains? Are they near the seal of the outer sunroof on the roof of the car, or are the drain openings inside the sun roof when you have it fully opened?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Hello,

So I did two things. Firstly, I saw the two top front sunroof drains and I used my air pressure machine to blow air into both.

Secondly, I did what you said, I took out the five screws from the mudflaps and took the flap off successfully, and as I was about to take out the internal wheel arch fender the screws just rusted in. All three screws are heavily rusted and my screwdriver isn't effective at the very least. I don't know what I can do about that now !

That being said, I noticed a huge CLOG in my front windshield drain on both the left and right side so I cleared that out.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, had to adjust the window regulator on the 89 LX yesterday afternoon....

Compressed air has always scared me...there isn't much, if anything, holding the clear tube to the grommet....that is where the water leaks out of when the grommet gets clogged. Hope that the air didn't "blow" them apart.

What you can do is park the car (downhill angle) so that you can pour water into the drains. Open the sunroof and slowly pour the water on the front "shelf"...make sure it drains out. It will come out of main area on the mud flap.

With a flash light you can "see" the rear drains.

I thought those screws were those plactic "push in" type. If you can get one out take it to a good parts store and they should be able to get you replacements.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM

So the internal fender has three plastic push-in screws? Am I looking at the wrong thing? I see three metal, heavily rusted screws. I'll take a picture, maybe I am looking at the wrong thing. This is the part behind the mudflap correct ?

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 1987 LXI Fuel Injector -- Water leak in drivers side on floor.