General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord 2002 -- lock and brights flasher electrical short

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 07:43 PM
Default Honda Accord 2002 -- lock and brights flasher electrical short

Hello, All.
My electric locks work and then half work, or don't work with some frequency. Just today, I flashed my brights at a car and the car shut off, then immediately came back on when I released it. Is this a fuse problem or is something more complicated with the electric going on? Anyone had any experiences like this? Any help is appreciated.
Best.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Moved your question to a new thread, because 2 problems on one thread is confusing when others read it.

You either lose power or ground on a circuit when dealing with electrical faults. You can eliminate some sources based on what components stop working when you have the electrical issue.

Did your engine turn off when you said the car shut off? Did you have to turn the key to start the car?

Any recent work done on the car before this issue came up?

Old 09-22-2022, 06:14 AM

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.
The engine turned off and then came back on immediately when I released the flasher. This happened while driving and I did not have to turn the ignition. I have had a general tune up, but I know they plugged in to the computer for problem shooting and maintenance light reset.

I checked the fuses and all seems okay. The ground issue seem most logical, but where do I start?

Old 09-22-2022, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

The engine shutting off means a critical ground for the system. Do you have the original battery terminals on the car? Start there, by disconnecting the battery, then clean the battery posts and terminals with a wire brush or sandpaper. Clean the ground cable bolt and eyelet where it attaches to the frame. I'd probably clean where the red and black cable connect to the under hood fuse box. Reconnect everything. Use a 10mm socket (not a 10 mm wrench) on the battery posts, because I used a 10mm wrench to tighten and the negative battery connecter came loose.