General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord 2005 v6 AC Issues

Old 05-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Default Honda Accord 2005 v6 AC Issues

Purchased the car used in June 2010 with approx 75k miles (Now at 83k). Air conditioning worked great all of last year.

This year it didn't work the first hot day of the year, one week later it started working, now its no longer working.

When I turn the car on, put the AC at full blast, open the hood, the two front fans start running; then you hear a noticeable noise decline and shut off to the left of the engine (when looking birds-eye view) but to the right of the belt that's there. At the same time, the two fans shut off. Within 4 - 5 seconds, the noise kicks back up, and the fans start running again.

This repeats constantly as long as the AC is on. I spoke with a Honda mechanic over the phone, he hadn't heard of this. He said the first thing he would look at is the Pressure Switch, as that may be causing the AC unit to shut off, and turn back on once pressure has stabilyzed.

Does anyone have experience with this, or anyone have any other ideas?

I'm not the kind that likes to DIY when it comes to cars, so I'm planning on bringing in, just want to know what I'm in for and what I need to know so I can talk the talk and not get duped.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Forgot to mention...the air in the car blows just fine, the problem is it blows warm/hot air when it should be blowing nice cool air , so its not the blower motor.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From your description, the compressor and cooling fans are engaging and running for just a few secs and cut-off.

Most likely reason for this behavior is a leak allowing refrigerant level to decline. When compressor comes on the pressure level will decline and low pressure cut-out switch will open the system. Fix is locate leak, repair, and recharge system. A new receiver/drier, refrigerant, and lubricant will be required.

An alternative explanation is a system blockage (expansion valve, receiver/drier, etc) causing the pressure to go too high. Here the same pressure switch (has upper and lower cut-out functions) also disables the compressor to prevent overpressure and possible system damage. Repairs for this case may be more extensive ($$).

good luck

Old 05-20-2011, 04:59 PM

My 03 V6 air conditioner would run for a few minutes (sometimes), then shut off. Turns out I needed a new compressor clutch and stator (coil), at a cost of $600 including labor. I think the clutch had too much clearance between it and the compressor, and that caused it to give out. The old clutch had no paint left on it, so I think it was overheating from the too much clearance. It's the only repair I've actually paid to have done, in 8 years, so I'm not complaining. I like to do all my own repairs, but I know nothing about A/C stuff, so I had to admit defeat.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Thanks all, I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to vehicles, but I wanted to get a better sense of whats going on.

I have an extended warranty on it, we'll see if this is covered. Bringing it in tomorrow, will report back with what happens.

I'm a little disappointed in my first Honda, just for the fact that the car is only 6-7 years old with 80k and the AC goes out; otherwise the car has been great. That's crap if you ask me (in regards to the AC), especially if its not covered under the warranty (which it probably isn't, serves me right for buying the extended warranty).

Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

While some AC systems last much longer, it is not unusual to have a problem at your age.

good luck

Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Default So glad I bought the extended warranty...

Got the call from my dealership. The compressor unit looks in great shape on the outside, but this is not true on the interior. Some bearings came loose and caused total destruction of the unit on the interior. It sent metal shavings throughout the AC system (through all the tubing).

Parts cost: $1500
Labor: 9-10 ours
Total cost: $2900

I owe a $200 deductible, and then $77 for a steel tube that the warranty doesn't cover....I think I can handle that.

They have to replace all of the components since the metal shavings went all over, otherwise it could just happen again in the future. They did have a 3rd party verify the damage so they aren't just making this up.

So glad I have the warranty....