General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda accord distributor ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Default RE: Honda accord distributor ?

Everyone, thanks for the help. I repl. the plugs, wires, cap, & rotor and it starts and runs much better. Check engine light hasn't come on yet. We'll see how it goes before I repl. the dist. Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 AM

Edit... AGGGHHH, tried to start it and it cranked and cranked.... FINALLY started. Any ideas? It fired right up last night 3 diff. times... Do I need to put dielectric grease on anything? Any suggestions?

Old 08-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

You could put dielectric grease on the spark plug wire boots, but that's just to seal so the contacts don't corrode & so the wires don't stick. Probably won't cause hard starting.

Don't run off & change the distributor, that's too pricey to just replace it without actually diagnosing.

If you have a timing light, you could check the timing just to be sure it's OK. But that probably isn't it either.

Did the check engine light come back on? If so, read the code & post it.

Next time it doesn't start, turn the key to 'ON' & don't immediately continue to 'start'. Listen for the fuel pump to run for a second or 2. If your main relay is flaky, the pump won't run. Gotta listen carefully, the pump isn't very loud; maybe have someone listen underneath at the back.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: coolbrze

Edit... AGGGHHH, tried to start it and it cranked and cranked.... FINALLY started. Any ideas? It fired right up last night 3 diff. times... Do I need to put dielectric grease on anything? Any suggestions?
Yo cool.....no need to get frustrated , like a good tech you need to DIAGNOSE ,,,,,,,,
when car does not start, you need to determine if it is because of lack of fuel or lack of spark..once you do that the solution will be a lot simpler .. try this quick test ..

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/NO_...m_17302/tm.htm

Old 08-11-2006, 08:16 PM

Yes, the check engine light is back on. How do I pull the codes, the "shop" did it last time and diagnostics cost me $100. Thanks again.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:34 PM

autozone will do it for free... jeez $100? could have bought the code scanner!

anyways,

under the glove box is a little service connector. You'll need to take it and jump the terminals with a paper clip. After that, key goes in the ignition to the "ON" posistion (not the engine start posistion!). You'll notice the check engine light blink. You will get a series of long and short blinks. Long ones go in the tens place and short ones are in the ones. Just add them together. 2 long ones and 4 short ones would be 24. post your findings here and someone can give you the error code.

and be sure to check the code a few times to make sure you've got it right.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:13 PM

Autozone can do a '94? I thought their OBD reader was '96 and newer? Dang, there's $100 down the drain... If I can do it at autozone, I def. will!

Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 PM

On a 94 you'll need to jump the service check connector under the glove box.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:50 AM

OK, sorry it took me so long. I jumped what I think was the service connector. Was this thing supposed to be plugged in to begin with? I took a paperclip, bent it, and inserted each end in part of the connector (blue piece w/ 2 female ends???). Once I turned the ignition to ON, the check engine light flashed 8 times, then a couple sec. pause, then flashed 8 times, than a couple sec. pause, then flashed 8 times, and so forth. What gives?

Oh, I checked the fuel pump, it works when I turn the key to ON but don't start the car.

What now? Thanks!

Old 08-24-2006, 04:16 AM

code 8 is the ,,,, top dead center position sensor...........it is located inside the distributor...............the only way to replace tdc sensor is to replace the distributor

Quick Reply: Honda accord distributor ?