General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord Drive Cycle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:28 AM
hmr
Default Honda Accord Drive Cycle Questions

I own a 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan, A/T, V-4. I just had the front air fuel ratio sensor, rear O2 sensor and battery replaced. I will need a smog check soon. Regarding successfully completing the Drive Cycle, the mechanic told me to just drive the car as usual for ~ 60 miles. He said that should ready the car for the smog test. I found several Drive Cycle protocols on the internet. Most are similar with an idle, accelerate, decelerate, accelerate and decelerate protocol for a prescribed amount of time and speed. I have a couple of questions regarding successfully completing the Drive Cycle. Which recommendation should I follow ? And, if it's the more detailed protocol, does it need to be completed in one setting in the exact order shown ? Thanks much for any advice !

Old 08-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

For the most part the drive at ~50 for a few let is slow then back up to ~50 type of cycles works for most all of them. The exception is the evap monitors but most states will allow the older ones to pass inspection without those being set. I just went through this with the 07 Accord (May - June ?) - it needed a new battery to get it running and inspection was due. There is a road near me where the speed limit is 55 so once at normal temp (close loop), a short drive of ~20 miles round trip using the "said" slow, speed up, slow down process allowed all but the evap to set. Again in the state I live the inspection laws allow that model to pass without the evap set.

If you have time, just drive it for a week or so, then check the status. If you don't have a code reader many parts stores (outside of CA) will check codes for free, you could stop by one and ask if they can also check the monitor status.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Check this out. Its for the wrong year, but you'll get some idea of what has to happen for each of the different readiness codes.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...s-codes-28313/

Old 08-27-2018, 01:28 PM
hmr

Thanks to both for the input. The mechanic mentioned that he can check the system status if I bring the car back. Can he check ALL systems that would be tested in a Smog test ? So, if he tells me completed and ready there should be no problem with the smog test ? It sounds like the strict speed / time protocol isn't really necessary for a successful ' drive cycle '. Just some idle time then some stop and go city and freeway driving ?