General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord electrical fault, stall on idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 01:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Honda Accord electrical fault, stall on idle

Hi Guys

I am kind of giving up as I have no idea what is my Honda doing...below what I have done so far vs. the issue i am having.

Ignition module changed

Battery changed

Alternator changed

Fuel pump changed

Main relay switch changed

Fuses: all checked, OK

car stalling on idle

slightly misfiring,

RPM slightly uneven

Hesitating

Battery light on (after changing the alternator and battery)

Front lowbeam out for while (only front, the back lights are working)

If any of you kindly can advise, I would really appreciate it as I am running out of clues...

thanks a million!

Old 07-01-2018, 08:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Why year model do you have. Seems to me you have more than one issue and you have to figure out which one to diagnose and fix first. Since you have a battery light on after changing the battery and alternator I would tackle that first. Check you grounds. Sometimes it's as simple as removing the ground cables and sanding the tips and bolt point (been there). Then I would trouble shoot the stalling issue. Maybe a vac leak somewhere. Check the air duct going to the filter for cracks then check hoses

Old 07-01-2018, 08:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

hi

thanks for the response and the advise....when you say check the ground connections you mean all of it? there are several...from battery to chassis, engine to chassis..

would you recommend also checking the distributor cap/ rotor / cable plugs and spark plugs (spark plugs were changed 4 years ago the rest was changed by previous owner 5+ years ago)

Will check on vcauum leaks and report back..

the model is Honda Accord EX, SY SJ 1983

thanks again!

Old 07-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Yes grounding can be an issue. I think on you car you have 3. What I have seen mostly if it is a ground it would be battery ground cable. You have a much older car so i would put yes on all.

Now with the misfire are you getting a CEL. If not then this will be a lot harder to diagnose and you will have to walk it all. Being that you already changed a lot of parts already some steps can be skipped (don't know if you were changing the parts to fix an issue or part of your troubleshooting). The fist thing you should check is vacuum, fuel pressure which should be good with a new pump but new pumps are sometimes bad, you said the plugs and wires were changed out. Have you looked at them to see if they are in good shape? When you got the car I would of changed the wires and plugs just to feel at ease. This should get you to a point where you know what the issue is. If it's none of the above then it is the cap and rotor which I would replace with the kit

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 07-01-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:13 AM

Also make sure you have no water in the fuel line. You can buy something to put in the tank for that. If the car was taken care of timing should not be the issue

Old 07-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

hey thanks!

I have started to change the above (ignition switch module, alternator, battery) as I thought the issue I've experienced, pointed towards that....few months go my low beam at the front went out, and the break light sign came on the dashboard even tho the break lights were fine, and the low beam at rear side was OK. All the bulbs were OK. Then I've been advised that Japanese cars, older ones tend to advise the driver that the electrical/alternator/battery gone bad with the break light sign....now at this time, the car was running fine...

3 weeks ago drove about 150 miles...then towards my end of my journey while I was driving the car went blank and stopped...restarted and after driving another 5 miles...did it again...and then right after restart again...and then the car stopped at the spot...I had to be towed away by AA.

so after all the above happened, started to change the parts, I always thought that I might have two sources of problems, but all these pointed towards the electrical...

now after changing pretty much everything changeable besides the spark plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor...that is the only part left...I have even cleaned the carb gently...my last shot was the fuel pump, changed it yesterday...and still, the car is shaking a bit and stalls on idle...

air/fule mixture...? i hope not as I am not sure if I am able to fix that...but we still have electrical issues and I dont understand why the low beams are completely out at the front but works at the rear side..

as you've said, i might experiencing two issues at the same time but everything started with the low beam out at front and dashboard break light on...

then gradually...the car stalls few months later....

tomorro will check on the spark plugs and ground...as start

thanks a lot dude!

Old 07-02-2018, 05:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey

Alright...I have done the following:

Checked, re sanded all the ground points
Changed battery connection point to brand new copper ones
Changed all the spark plugs
Cleaned the distributor rotor
Cleaned the distributor connection points

Car starts and then drops and then stall.

With acceleration is running a bit longer but then again stall....removing my foot from the pedal stalls immediately.

I have absolutely no idea what the hell is this and why is this happening....

still the low beam doesn't work and the battery sign is still on the dashboard...

damn...

Old 07-02-2018, 04:47 PM

Did you pay attention to where the idle falls to before it stalls

Old 07-03-2018, 12:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It drops right away...starts on the spot nicely and within 1 second car stops. Went to check the carb and NO sign of fuel there.

I am trying to think that the fuel pump flow is wrong, although I was making sure that I did put that in correctly.

On the pump there was no IN or OUT sing, only arrows.

My understanding was that the arrow pointing towards the pipe on the fuel pump is the IN and pointing away from the pipe is the OUT....could this be the other way around????

The pump is a brand new Japanparts and found it really silly that they are using arrows instead of IN or OUT as the interpretation is kind of depending how you are holding the pump really...

Will swap the hoses tomorrow and report back...

Thanks man!

Old 07-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Also did you change the fuel filter? Something is wrong if no fuel is in the carburetor

Quick Reply: Honda Accord electrical fault, stall on idle