General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord SY SJ 1983 electrical problem madness

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Honda Accord SY SJ 1983 electrical problem madness

Hey Folks!

I need some advise please from other Honda enthusiasts as I am not sure what is happening to my loved one.

Few months back started the following:

Hear-able symptoms: clicking realy sound from behind the radio, sudden clicks with no pattern (this been here for years) and clicking sound outside at the fuel pump, more exelration the more and faster clicks.

Visible symptoms:

1. Headlights suddenly OFF during drive at night (very scary) then back as soon as I switched on High Beam. High Beam usually works.
2. few weeks later the head lights were completely off just suddenly...each time I switch the headlights on, the engine drops power on idle (i also can see that on the digital clocl, it is lososing the power too)..even tho the headlights as not responding . (both bulbs are tested OK)...High Beam works
3. Break warning sign ON displaying that I have break problems, altough I have breaks and break lights are responding, however the fog light is completley GONE (same circuit)
4. Few weeks later, break warning light still on, relay clicks still on, on drive car SUDDENLY shuts down completely...restarted, worked another 10 minutes then again, shuts down...then restart, few seconds later shuts down again...
5.Parked the car, engine shuts down idle...not staying on, and not having a healthy sound, like not getting enough fuel...

Does that mean my alternator slowly destroying my car electrical system and starts failing...? took my 3 months ols battery out and recharged, batter can NOT be fully charged...charging stopped at first quarter.

AND....check the attachments...

my DMM measuring between the negative pin of battery and the negative chassis of the car 12 VDC and 28 VAC!!?? whaaaaaat??

Okay, I did the testing recommended with a light bulb between the neg battery and chassis negative, pulling out the fuses one by one....the light still on, still measruing the same if ALL the fuses are out!?!? All fuses are OK.

What the heck?

Please if you had something similar, share with me as i am really intrigued as this is unusual to me...

THANK YOU!

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord SY SJ 1983  electrical problem madness-img_20180604_185412.jpg   Honda Accord SY SJ 1983  electrical problem madness-img_20180604_185342.jpg  

Last edited by leviszendro; 06-04-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: missed the pics....
Old 06-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Vac voltage is for alternating current, so ignore that reading. I think your 12V reading is normal, since the voltage will be 12V at the black battery cable when it is unplugged.

The light bulb is measuring amperage and is definitely indicating a current draw. Check that you don't have a light bulb that is constantly on in the trunk or glove box, or that a dome light is turned on with the door open.

If everything is turned off in the car, and you still get an amp draw by that light, disconnect the electrical connections to the alternator and see if the light bulb turns off.