General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HondaLink Browser

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Default HondaLink Browser

2016 Accord EX Coupe.

Finally found time to play with some of the settings I haven't customized yet. I wanted to see the online manual so I used HondaLink to connect the car directly to my home WiFi (no cell phone involved). Browser opened to Google search page. Searched for the manual, but when I selected that link (or any other link) it says "browser no longer supported" and gives a link to update the browser.

But you guessed it. When I try that link to update, it says "browser no longer supported". Not even sure what browser it's complaining about, Chrome, Safari...?

I don't understand...if I can use the browser to do a Google search, why can't I use the same browser to go links in the search results? And how do I update the browser if the existing browser isn't supported...?

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Most of the DIYers on here typically drive older vehicles. When you do a google search for say a Wikipedia article, will it open properly? Just wondering if you are having an issue viewing a pdf on the system.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the response.

My '16 Honda is running Android KitKat 4.2.2.

If I touch Browser link on the Apps screen, I get message the browser is no longer supported. It offers a link to Google Play to update, but when I touch that link, I get error saying the link "may have been changed or has been removed".

If instead, I touch the Search link on the apps tab, it goes directly to Google's search page. I can search for anything I want, eg Honda. If I touch the Honda.com link, it goes to Honda's main page and there's a popup saying the browser needs to be updated. It offers links to Firefox, Chrome, Opera. Each of those links gives the error that the browser is no longer supported and offer a link to Google Play to update, but that's the same broken link.

If I search directly for Google Play and touch that link it gives me "browser not supported" and the same broken Google Play link. So I'm going round and round in circles.

Some sites seem to work ok with the default browser, eg I can check my email at mail2web.com, but others just tell me the browser isn't supported. So it's not just a problem opening a pdf.

All this is being done while Honda is connected securely to my home WiFi. None of my other WiFi devices have problems accessing Google Play over this same network. I think there's a hard-coded link in Honda's software that's wrong/broken.

Obviously, I could access Honda's site on my cell phone using mobile data on my carrier's 4G LTE network while in the car, but that's not the point. If Honda is offering WiFi connectivity, it should work...

Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not familiar with the hondalink browser, so you may have to take it to the dealer for help. A google search may provide you some information. The information may also be in the owner's manual.

Most experienced people on the gen tech help side have older vehicles they try to maintain. There is an audio forum on here where someone that frequents may be able to help?

Old 10-01-2016, 09:39 PM

I asked the dealer today and they had no clue. But then again, they don't understand a lot of the techy things on my '16 Accord with Sensing. I seem to know more than they do!

Suggested I call Honda tech support on Mon...