Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

HondaLink and the iPhone: Seeking Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Question HondaLink and the iPhone: Seeking Assistance

I recently became a very happy owner of a 2014 Honda Accord EXL. Love it! But I am having some challenges with HondaLink and how if works with my iPhone 5 (iOS7). I'm hopeful this group of experts might be able to provide some guidance.

Challenge 1: When should I plug the iPhone into the USB port? Before or after the car is started? Does it matter? When should Bluetooth be turned on on the iPhone?

Challenge 2: I asked # 1 because I can't figure out why HondaLink will occasionally play what is "Now Playing" on my iPhone and other times will pick the first song, alphabetically, on my iPhone. How is that determined?

Challenge 3: If my iPhone is connected via USB but the source is BlueTooth, when I switch to iPod as the source the music pauses and I must unplug the iPhone, then re-connect for audio to to re-start. Why so?

Challenge 4: When HondaLink ignores "Now Playing" on the iPhone it begins playing the first song, alphabetically on the iPhone. Can I set-up HondaLink to default to a particular playlist, song, artist or album?

Challenge 5: sometimes artwork is displayed, sometimes not. Do I need to do anything to always have artwork displayed?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

mucrick

Old 12-14-2013, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

thanks for organizing the questions.

i'll forward these to a local dealership and see if they have answers.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM

The album art only works when you have USB, or iPod selected as the connection. It does not work over Bluetooth.

So, I use the USB connection for music and Bluetooth for calls. If you have already paired your phone via Bluetooth you just manually set the connection option to USB, or iPod in HondaLink.

After that you'll get all the album art and calls will be routed to your Bluetooth.

I haven't been able to figure why HondaLink always starts playing the first song in my iTunes instead of whatever I was listening to though.

I rarely use the music player anyways. I'm usually listening to podcast in my podcast app, but HondaLink always starts playing my first iTunes song. I always have to manually open the podcast app and hit play for it to start. Quite annoying.

I tried disabling iTunesMatch in my iPhone and deleting any songs in the music player. That did not work. In fact after I did that I couldn't get my iPhone to play anything at all. It's pretty annoying bug I wish Honda would fix.

Last edited by AgentEd; 01-13-2014 at 01:50 PM.