General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Horn stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Default RE: Horn stopped working

So you don't think it's the relay? Can I splice a wire in and ground that wire? Is that what you mean? It is a Canadian car.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need to have ground on the black wire ,, ground goes from black wire to blue/red once relay is energized ...just supply a ground to the black wire while connector is still plugged in , push the horn button and see if it works,,
if it is a canadian car, the ground supply is located at the left side under dash kick panel..
but give it a ground source for testing purposes and see if horn works ..
if you supply a good ground at the black wire and you push the horn button and still have no ground at the blue/red ,, than relay is no good either ..
But first supply a good ground to the black wire and test it

Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 PM

Ok I gave black wire ground and now the blue/red has power till you push the horn and then it gorund itself but the horns still don't work. So now am really confused. SO if I give the black ground I get everything am suppose to but the horns don't go.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ehy ehy you are almost there ,,
so we know that you have a bad ground ( black wire) and relay is good because you get ground at blue/red wire .. Now you need to chk and see if you get power and ground at the horns ..( horn button pushed in ) if you do you got bad horn as well..
if you do not get ground at the blue/red wire at the horn, than there is a problem from the relay to the horn blue/red wire .
We know you get power cause you said so in an earlier post ..

So ..to sum it up ... .. you got a bad ground supply for sure black wire to horn relay
if no ground at blue/red at horn you got bad wire ( blue/red) from relay to horn
if you get ground at horn at blue/red you got bad horn

see,,, piece of cake

Old 04-28-2007, 09:12 AM

Thanks alot deserthonda This is very much appreciated. So the bad ground at the relay am just going to do it the lazy way , going to cut the black wire and run a new ground instead of finding out why there is a bad ground.

Again thanks and am very glad to hear I almost have it nipped in th a$$

Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 PM

Ok it has rained friday and saturday so I didn't have a chance to look at it but I have a new problem. At the relay i get black ground, lt.green/blue has power then you push horn and its grounded, white/yellow has power all the time, blue/red has power going to the relay and then grounds when horn is pushed. Now at the horn blue/red has nothin most of the time but for a brief half a second may sometimes get power. This is where I get confused I though if I cut the blue/ red out of the relay and rewired it to the horn that would work but the blue/red is incoming power to the relay and not out to the horns.

So I guess my question is what is going on with these wires cause I thought blue was power out to the horn till the button was pressed but it seems it is power going into the relay till the horn is pressed.

Can you please straighten out the confusion.