General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to disable the factory security system

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Default how to disable the factory security system

I have a 2001 accord coupe, alarm keeps randomly going off, can I get the correct way to disable the alarm system so I can stop diconnecting the battery. tried some youtube sugestions but both were unsuccessful. Best one was from a honda-tech, how to disable the factory system on a 2001 accord and in the video is a 2006 accord, duh!

Old 07-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

For giggles, try unplugging the "sensor" on the hood latch - this seems to be the most common issue with the factory system....that sensor/switch on the hood latch gets "dirty" over the years and will send "bad" signals to the alarm system.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:28 PM

First, thank you for responding. saw this on line while searching, makes sense but I haven't been able to see the switch, not to mention access to it. on an 2001 accord the switch if there is one is on the bottom of the latch assembly between the radiator and the bumpr/grill cover with two horns and ac lines on the pass side above it. I love the videos on youtube one says how to access the switch on a 2000 accord and the video is on a honda odessey where the switch is in easy access right on the rear of the radiator support.. The other video is how to disable the 2001 factory system and the video is on a 2006 or newer accord. If I could only see the switch, my hand can only reach 2 of the 3 bolts holding on the latch assembly with out removal of the bumper/grill cover. Am I not trying hard enough. I like the Lita Ford quote

Old 07-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I haven't owned a 6th gen (98-02) Accord so I can't give any "first hand" advise on how to get at the two wire switch connector. All I can offer is pic's of it but I'm sure you've seen many of these online.

Attached Thumbnails how to disable the factory security system-6th-gen-hood-latch.jpg  
Old 07-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Only the Accord EX trim level has the factory security system. The security system on an EX is part of the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU). You can't really disable the system without affecting other circuits.

The security hood switch is part of the latch. The way the security hood switch works is when the hood is open, a ground signal is allowed through the switch to the security/multiplex control unit. Normally, when the hood is closed, there should be no ground signal coming from the hood switch. If the hood was closed and the security system sensed a ground signal from the hood switch, it sounds the alarm because it thinks the hood is open.

You may have to first loosen the latch bolts or remove the latch altogether; to reach & disconnect the 2P connector to the hood switch if that was the cause of the false alarms.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Remove the plastic cover held on with a plastic clip, and you should be able to access the 3rd latch bolt or even the 2P connector without removing the latch.

Attached Thumbnails how to disable the factory security system-hood-switch.jpg