General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to disable intake valves on cylinder number 2? f22b2

Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 AM
Default How to disable intake valves on cylinder number 2? f22b2

My 95 Accord either burned or lost a piece of an exhaust valve on cylinder 2. As a temporary fix so I can drive the car as I normally would I need to disable the intake valves (and unplug the injector, but that's easy) I found one person who disabled the intake valves on 2 cylinders on their 77 Accord by turning the rocker arms upside down. The way this head is designed would that work? I know on the 8valve HF heads they used spacers. I don't believe I could simply just remove the rocker arms because there may be an oil passageway that needs to be surrounded to let oil flow to the other rockers. Any input is appreciated.

I will fix this correctly, but at the moment my go to wrecking yard did not have a head I could take and craigslist didn't turn up anything either.

Last edited by SVTMike; 11-12-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

You might try removing the valve-adjusting bolt & nut completely. Does that give you enough room for the cam to spin without opening the valve at all? If it opens the valve even a little at the top of the cam lobe, then I wouldn't do this method.

Or if you KNOW you're going to get a complete head, you can saw off the camshaft side of the rocker. Knowing you'll get another set of rockers with the head.

I don't know how you would prevent that rocker from occasionally hitting the cam lobe and getting hammered around. So hopefully this is VERY temporary, drive gently at low RPM and fix it right as soon as possible.