General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to do front pipe and cat. converter, questions

Old 11-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Default How to do front pipe and cat. converter, questions

99 Accord LX, 4-cyl, 217,000 miles

There's been loud exhaust and some exhaust smell and a mechanic said the flex pipe was leaking. They said it's best to just replace the whole front pipe that includes the flex pipe, so I have the front pipe ready to install. As I was under the car getting ready to replace the front pipe, I see that the top half (heat shield) of the catalytic converter is rusted off and just held on by the O2 Sensor. So I've order a new cat. as well.

Are there other parts you think I might need? will I need small pipes on either end of the converter, or will it be complete - going from the front pipe to the long exhaust pipe?

There's a bracket that comes off the cat or the front pipe (I forget which - it's near the junction of the two)that holds the assembly in place...that bolt is very rusty and I'll be surprised if it comes off without breaking. Maybe it slips out of the bracket without having to unbolt it? I'm not sure. I don't see that bracket as a part for sale - do you?

Thanks!