General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much fuel you put in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default How much fuel you put in?

I drive a Honda Accord Hybrid v6 2007 model and was wondering how much fuel do you guys usually have in the tank? I usually fill up to the 1/4 mark and drive till only 2/10 then fill up (I never leave till the E warning comes up). I've looked around and there's alot of debate about how much fuel to leave in the car. One idea is that the more fuel the better because cars nowadays have a have a electric fuel pump and more fuel cools the tank which prevents long term damage to the fuel pump. Another is that you can leave at the 1/4 mark which saves gas because you aren't driving around the extra gas you carry when the tank is full.

I live in Canada so the climate here is usually very cold so I don't know if that effects the fuel pump. I don't need as much gas as the weathers always cold here I guess?

Also, are gas nowadays better filtered than before? What I mean is that there are some places (like savegas or something) where gas is cheap but aren't very "brand name". Are those gas poorly filtered? Is it better to go for Chevron or Shell? If so, you guys prefer Shell or Chevron? Thanks in advanced.

Edit: Just did some research on the which gas station is better. Appearently the difference is not the gas but the additives they add in. Chevrons "Techron" additive is regarded as the industries finest and Shell isn't really marketed as such. However, Shell's V-power is regarded to have 5 times more required additive. I was wondering as well, since I just loaded my car with cheap *** fuel, will filling up with some V-power help to remove some of the gunk that's left over from the cheap fuel I just bought?

Last edited by Deviatorz; 02-16-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM

I use Texaco/Chevron (87 octane) because of those detergents (techron). I will also use a bottle of chevron/techron fuel system cleaner (black bottle from Walmart) on occasion just for the heck of it. I usually fill up soon after the light comes on. It comes on pretty early, and most times I can only put 13.5 gallons in when the light comes on, so that would mean there is still 3.6 gallons left in the tank. That should be enough to keep the fuel pump cool, IMO.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 02-16-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
I use Texaco/Chevron (87 octane) because of those detergents (techron). I will also use a bottle of chevron/techron fuel system cleaner (black bottle from Walmart) on occasion just for the heck of it. I usually fill up soon after the light comes on. It comes on pretty early, and most times I can only put 13.5 gallons in when the light comes on, so that would mean there is still 3.6 gallons left in the tank. That should be enough to keep the fuel pump cool, IMO.
Would fuel system cleaners do much on fairly new cars? I've only had my car for 3ish years and have been using ever since. Would that bottle actually make a difference? Also, any preference between Chevrons or STP's? Thanks!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Having less than 1/2 a tank in the winter time, especially in Canada, can often time cause alot of condensation in the gas tank due to the temperature differential inside the tank and filler neck while driving vs. the cold outside air. In the past with metal gas tanks, it would often cause the top of the tank to rot out prematurely. With today's plastic gas tanks not so much, but if left for too long I have seen it dilute the gas some with water and cause random misfires and such.

The thing about keeping the fuel pump cool and lubricated is true as well, but the more so in the summer time for the heat part of it. When the air is below zero I don't think the pump will overheat per se, but in my opinion it's always good to keep at least 1/2 tank in your car is you can so the pump is kept wet (and lubricated) by fuel.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Probably not much difference between brands, but I haven't done much homework that way.

How many miles on your car? I guess a 3-year-old car (unless miles are really high) isn't having a problem with dirty injectors yet. I guess I use that stuff (Techron) occasionally, but on my new-ish cars I'm not very diligent.

It has to depend on how clean or dirty the gasoline is in your part of the world.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

@PC96: Makes sense. I usually have 1/4 tank so another 1/4 isn't that much.

@JimBlake: I have around 28200 miles on this car. I've been driving it city wise so not a lot of distance. Also, the octane rating on this car is 87 but I never use that and pay up just a bit more for 89. Most of the time I go for either Shell or Chevron (usually Chevron more), however sometimes I go to those cheaper brand gas. I still fill up with 89 though.
Another thing is that I've been filling with a higher octane gas rating. I know I won't get extra mileage but I was wondering if this will keep my system cleaner compared to 87? Will this maintain my current mileage longer compared to using 87? This is what I've been told so that's what I've been doing, hopefully someone can correct me.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM

I don't think octane has anything to do with the detergents. You probably get the same additives/detergents with regular, as with premium.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Especially Chevron & Shell, I bet they put the same cleaners in all grades. I wouldn't bother with a bottle of cleaner unless you experience any problems.

You might be slightly better off with regular, because that's what you engine calls for. But I bet you won't notice any difference. (except maybe you car will be slower because your wallet is heavier.)