General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge Puddle

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Crank it with the spark plugs removed. I'd also disable the fuel. You could pull the fuel-pump fuse or you could unplug the wires from all 4 injectors.

Got a battery charger? You'll be draining the battery before you're done here.

Milky oil was where exactly? Down in the sparkplug tubes above the spark plugs where you could see it before removing the sparkplugs themselves? That's not so bad.

Milky oil actually inside the combustion chamber? (Below the spark plugs?) That's worse, but you DON'T want to leave it sit in there & corrode. Milky oil on the dipstick?

After cranking to spit out most of the water, change your oil. If much water comes out with the oil, then fill with oil & crank it some more without sparkplugs. OK to use cheap junk oil because you'll want to change it a couple times before too long. You'll want to crank it long enough to mix the oil around everywhere inside the engine. You're not just spitting water out of the spark plug holes, you're washing the water out from inside the engine. Change the oil again.

When the oil drains out kinda clean (not necessarily perfect), then put the sparkplugs back in & start it (maybe NEW plugs). Idle for a bit, but don't drive around. Change oil again & see what the oil looks like draining out. By now, hopefully, the oil will drain out pretty clean.

I guess I'd make my next oil change sorta earlier than usual.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Update, I went to start it with no plugs to try to spit up any water in there, BAD NEWS the motor doesnt turn, i took my starter off and tried it, it works, i put the car in gear and try to push it so the motor will turn, it wont, the motor just rocks in the engine bay! So my thoughts is that i got water in the cylinders, i pulled the valve cover off and am going to drain the oil, and possible pull the exhaust from the cat or near the motor to let it drain if water is in there? Anything else i can do to try to get all the water out so my motor will at least move some? PLease help this is my only car

Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Supper Moderator

ouch sounds like your hydrolocked. Time for new engine

Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It is time to see if you have coverage on your insurance for this. If with the spark plugs out it doesn’t turn over something major happen. The Civic I mentioned bent the rods. With the pistons trying to compressor water it does damage as if it was steel.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:00 PM

how can you check if the rods are bent or not? just drained the oil and it had water in it, would it be able to turn now?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

You definitely pulled water into your engine.

I would pour some seafoam down into each cylinder just to flush out any remaining water, and allow it to drain out of the oil pan. Allow it to sit for an hour or so, then pour 1-2 cap fulls of oil into each cylinder . Clean off the spark plugs, then reinstall.

Refill the oil (4.5 qts). Then try to start the car.

My guess is that your engine is toast, but you might be very very lucky. You will only know when you attempt to start your car. If it runs like normal, then you are all set. If it runs like crap or your starter turns the engine with too much ease, then you have internal engine damage. I would look at a site like car-part.com to get prices for a used engine.

You could do a compression test on each cylinder as well.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by pr1286
how can you check if the rods are bent or not? just drained the oil and it had water in it, would it be able to turn now?
don't waste your time any longer...from what you have said i fear the worse ,, like Kris said, time to contact your insurance company

Old 08-20-2010, 07:28 PM

If you car is covered by your insurance you don’t want it all taken apart. It will go to a garage or dealership they will assess the damage and you go from there. To have a large amount of water in the oil it would have to get pass the piston rings and most likely they are broken or holes in the pistons. I had an insurance company send the garage I worked at a car that was underwater but wasn’t running at the time to see if we could get the engine unseized which we were able to, but the ones that were running at the time they just wrote up for a used engine.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

All the advice about the insurance is good - talk to your insurance first for that kind of instructions.

If the sparkplugs are removed, it's NOT hydrolocked any more - there's a way for the water to get out. Since the engine won't spin, the pistons might be seized in the cylinders, maybe from corrosion at the rings. That can happen pretty quickly.

If you're not covered by insurance, you can pour some oil into the sparkplug holes & let it sit overnight. I freed up a seized engine that way.