General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I can tell that we are gonna be friends..

Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Cool I can tell that we are gonna be friends..

Hello H.A.F, I'm new to the scene and just wanted to give you wonderful people and idea of what I'm working with in my new "investment" (girlfriend calls it a money pit).

>bought '90 4 door accord $750 bucks 200k miles

>>immediately replaced all hoses, wires, belts, water pump, battery, and radiator. Flushed all fluids ect..

runs great, aside from this random "chugging" it does in idle. But I'm sure I can "search" on forums to find and diagnose that.

when I bought the car these were the issues the guy told me about.

>drivers door stuck shut
>battery or altinator MIGHT be going
>weather stripping in trunk and doors MIGHT leak (they do -.-)
>both lap belts have quarters stuck in them... *facepalm*
>and some front drivers side body damage

so after all that I'm thinking I could get this car, put 5 or 6 grand into, and have some REAL fun... but I'm running into problems...

My door is now stuck OPEN, my ignition is on its way out, and my electronics are going haywire..

So assuming that after the last little stuff like re-sealing the doors and trunk, getting a new drivers door, and attempting to pound out the smashed front side I wanna start upgrading my engine/components. But I really have no idea where to begin with that. Not the DIY part, but I don't know my head from my *** about aftermarket Honda parts. I've always been a 4x4 truck guy.

I'll post pics in a bit to show you what's going on, but just some friendly advice or some general knowledge on any of the issues & problems I'm having would be GREATLY appreciated. Also maybe some suggestions on first aftermarket things to add on.

Thanks all!

-BigDreams420

Old 01-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

It's hard to help some one with a 'laundry list'.
I suggest you post your issues one at a time and in different threads to get the most help from the guys on this board.
More specific information will help with diagnostics. "electronics going haywire" is a wide ranging symptom to diagnose online.

Unbolt the lapbelt receivers and try to turn them upside down to get the coins out. You can also warm up and pry apart the plastic case around the belt receiver being careful not to damage it.

Last edited by hondadude; 01-17-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know how much you will gain by upgrading the car, depending on what you want to do.

Did you replace the door latch?

What is going on with the idle?

What is happening with the ignition? Does the car stall out when shaking the key when the engine is running? Or does the starter not work when you try to start the car?