General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

IAC Valve code P1519

Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Default IAC Valve code P1519

HELP!! First time with this. I was told at the auto parts store if I came to forums I could ask a question and get answers.

I have a 2000 Honda Accord SE w/ 141,520 miles and check engine light is on and the code said it was P1519 Manf. control ven speed idle speed control Auxilary inputs. Is there any easy fix to it if I get the part at the parts store?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

P1519 = IAC valve circuit failure

V-6 or 4-cyl engine??

Simplest thing would be a dirty/loose/corroded wiring plug connection at the IACV (on the back side of the intake manifold on 4-cyl).

It's possible the IACV itself is bad, or wiring is cut or shorted somewhere in the car's harness.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:25 AM

Thank you for responding. It's a 4-cyl engine. I'm going to try and clean it first and hope that fixes it but you've given me a good start. If you don't mind me asking since I don't work on cars I found these instructions on cleaning an IAC valve on a Honda, can you let me know if this is correct or not?

<LI id=jsArticleStep1>Disconnect the cable running to the negative battery terminal. Loosen the nut on the cable clamp attached to the negative terminal, and lift the clamp off the terminal.
<LI id=jsArticleStep2>Open the hood and remove the two screws that hold the idle control valve to the throttle body. The throttle body and the valve are located on the back side of the engine near the firewall. Be careful when removing the screws; it's easy to strip them. Honda uses soft head screws for the IAC valve. You must put your entire body weight on the screw head and turn it slowly to be sure you don't ruin the head of the screw.
<LI id=jsArticleStep3>Remove the electrical plug running to the IAC valve. Squeeze the top and bottom of the plug to remove it.
<LI id=jsArticleStep4>Pull the idle control valve off the throttle body, and turn it over to expose the valve openings.
<LI id=jsArticleStep5>There are two holes on the underside of the valve. In one of the holes, you should see a sensor. It will probably be covered in dust or dirt.
<LI id=jsArticleStep6 sizset="40" sizcache="10">Spray the sensor liberally with a non-residue electronic parts cleaner available from most electronics stores. You really need to soak the sensor in the parts cleaner, then allow the cleaner to drain out of the valve openings. Continue to spray the sensor until the fluid runs clear out of the valve opening. The parts cleaner should evaporate completely in a few hours.
<LI id=jsArticleStep7>Reinstall the idle control valve in the reverse of removal.
<LI id=jsArticleStep8 sizset="41" sizcache="10">Start the Accord's engine and wait a few minutes while the Accord's computer relearns the air flow and makes adjustments to the IAC.

Thank you very much for your assistance I greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The code P1519 is a Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) circuit fault. This fault will not be fixed by cleaning IACV. As Jim suggests inspect wiring and connector for faults is only easy/cheap fix. Check resistance of solenoid driver for IACV. If it's open or dead short, then IACV must be replaced. Another test is to apply 12V and ground to connector and see if solenoid clicks. If nothing solenoid is open.

You may be able to find a used part on ebay much cheaper than OEM. I looked and did not look promising for 2000 Accord 4-cyl.

Check car-part.com for throttle body. You will have to buy the entire throttle body to get the IACV. I found them as cheap as $25, but search for your zip code and locate one locally.

good luck