General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Idle problems (tried it all)

Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Default Idle problems (tried it all)

I replaced the IACV And The FITV and Im still having a high idle, I cant find any leaks but i do have a leak. When i remove the IACV The idle doesnt even go down. All Throttle cables are in original position. I have a burning smell sometimes becuase I think I need a tie rod end not sure or maybe its the brakes. My car is like moving too fast on its own. The car idles at normal at start up, it drops when warm but then it starts to rise, I have suction in FIT. The throttle screw is barly open, becuase when open it starts to idle eratically. I have tried everything I have done all i seen on here. Can one of you certified Techs Help me please!
Thank you very much.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Idle problems (tried it all)

When you remove the IACV the idle doesn't go down. You mean when you unplug the wire from the IACV?

Have you made sure there's no air pockets in your cooling system?

If you still have suction in the FITV port when it's warmed up, it sounds like that's loose. There's a post about taking the round cover off the end & tightening something inside. My '98 didn't have an FITV so I haven't actuallydone that. Did you get a new one or a used FITV?

In '96 there was a 'boost chamber' at the other end of the manifold opposite the throttlebody. I'm not really sure it's purpose, but maybe that can provide a vacuum leak you need to find & fix.

Then... if you unplug the AICV wire, can you turn the throttle adjustment screw down to 500rpm? Will it adjust down that low?

If you've read the stuff about setting base idle, you'll know the last thing to do is reset the ECU & let it re-learn the idle. It might not settle down until you do that.