General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord won't start... tried DIY lists

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Nodiesop
Unregistered
Default 91 Accord won't start... tried DIY lists

Hello all,

My 91 accord has been working great for the last couple of years and a couple of weeks ago, I filled up the tank and drove away from the station and it died almost immediately. It seemed to me to be a fuel problem of some sort because it lurched and jumped, coughed and died. I tried starting it again and it started for about 3 seconds then died. Tried once more (for good luck).. it ran for a second and died. Now, whenever I try to start it it turns over and almost catches, but never starts up.

I am not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, but I do live with an engineer so, in the last couple of weeks, we have so far tried the following:

Fuel System: Pump whirrs for two seconds, checked fuel pressure at the rack and got 40 psi (normal)
Spark plugs are sparking (pulled out and tested against engine)
Relay works (clicks when ignition is on, clicks when check engine light is off and clicks when trying to start car)
Camshaft is turning (checked inside and can see it turning)

I have followed the flowcharts at http://techauto.te.funpic.org/ and am now down to the timing belt. I had the timing belt replaced last year and the car has 145,000 kms on it.

I would like to know if there is anything else I should check before I check the timing marks? As well, is there an easier way to tell if the timing is off than to dissasemble the car and look at the timing marks themselves? (if the timing was off, would I hear interference noises?).

Thanks for any help. I know these questions must drive you guys nuts, but I'd really like to get driving again and this is taking me forever.

~B.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91 Accord won't start... tried DIY lists

check your water temp sensor used by the ecu, check for vaccum leaks

Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91 Accord won't start... tried DIY lists

if it started to have problems soon after you filled it up.. I would chk for contaminated fuel ... ( or it could just be a coincedence ) ,, drain some fuel in a can and chk to see if it is contaminated .. ( water ) ..

chk engine lite on ?? any codes ??