General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle surge

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Default idle surge

Hi everyone,

My 1992 Accord (5 spd) developed the dreaded idle surge. I know there was another post about it and I've read that one and other posts on some of the reasons why it happens and suggestions on how to resolve it.

I've done a couple of things, but do not fully possess the time or skill to do other things listed.

Recently, the distributor was replaced (the old distributor was failing), Honda had adjusted the idle after I had a problem with stalling (now I realize how easy it is to adjust the idle from this site), and I recently opened up the throttle body (I think that is what it is called) and adjusted the 'O' ring to righten it (it was very loose). This, at first, seemed to resolve the surging idle, but now it is back.

Here is some info on it:

The idle surges terribly when cold, but not until I start driving. That is, I can leave it running and idling in my driveway for 20 minutes with no issue. As soon as I drive and idle at a stop the surge occurs from about 1200 or 1500 to 2000 and drops down. It will just keep doing this, sometimes settling down after 5 or 6 surges.

Once the engine is warm, the surging is lessened.

If I put the A/C on, the surging will start up again.

I've heard about cleaning certain parts, checking coolant, etc. My coolant is full btw. I decided to bring it to Honda today explaining all of the stuff above. I hope an experienced tech will be able to help find a vacuum leak or something where I am unable to. When I speak to them, is there any advice from someone here as to what would be an acceptable cause of the surge and what would otherwise be B.S. ? I want to ensure it gets fixed and don't want to be told that the problem is associated with something it could not possibly be.

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Default RE: idle surge

IAC Valve!

peace out,
daddy

Old 04-04-2007, 12:15 PM

Thanks daddy!

I assume that means idle air control valve?

Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM

Honda called me. He says they adjusted the idle again (I think I messed with it wrongly) and installed the distributor properly (says it was not in right). He says the idle is good now but the Fast Idle Control Valve may need replacing sometime. I'm not sure, but is that not the item that was discussed here, can be removed and cleaned? I may be mistaken.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:47 PM

the fast idle control valve or FICV as we more commonly refer to it is what we explained how to clean/dis-assemble..... I'd defenitly try to clean it before replacing it but if that doesn't work then start looking into a new one.... but for right now if it's not broke don't fix it....

Old 04-04-2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks Sir Nasty! At some future point, if I get the guts to do it, I will venture to remove and clean it. I fear I may break or damage some hoses or parts trying to get it off.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:29 PM

It's easier to do than you think.... it just requires a little intestinal fortitude to tackle it the first time then it won't be an issue in the future but like I said if the car is working fine right now I'd just write it off as something to consider when/if it becomes an issue...

Old 04-04-2007, 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: eckhart

Thanks daddy!

I assume that means idle air control valve?
Intake Air Control Valve. Pretty much the same with this valve as the other. Give it a good cleaning with Carb Cleaner, then blow-out with compressed air. Let dry for about 2-3 hours and re-install. Works most of the time and if not, well ya tried. The symptoms are just about the same as the FICV...it's like a ghost is stepping on your gas pedal then letting off, over and over and over!!!

Good Luck

peace out,
daddy

Old 04-05-2007, 03:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

go to our DIY section look under surging idle " , open up the lower link, it is a service news from Honda .. it has step by step troubleshooting + pictures..I just posted it there this evening
YOu will need adobe reader to open up the file

Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Default 1992 Accord idle surge problem

The idle surge problem in the 1992 honda accord can be caused by the series of hoses leading up to the idle control valves. The hoses carry coolant up to the valves and when the coolant reaches operating temp. the idle valve drops the engine to idle speed. If the hoses are clogged the coolant never reaches the idle control valves and the engine surges in cold weather. The fix: remove the hoses and blow out with comprssed air or replace the hoses this should fix the idle surge problem.Note the hoses are small and look like larger vacuum lines. I had this problem on my 1992 accord and after replacing all of the expensive idle componants I still had the problem. I finally figured out the hoses were clogged than blew them out and the car ran fine.