General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

idle surge / fluid loss

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:26 AM
longpatch
Unregistered
Default idle surge / fluid loss

UPDATE...problem below nowfixed.. As I was getting acquainted with the IACV, I noticed the vacumm line going from the intake manifold to the valve cover was disconnected. It looks like it was replaced before I got the car, and I don't see any sign that a clamp was used. Looks like the hose is a little too large, but I think a hose clamp should do the trick. The rubber is flimsy, and when it's connected, and the engine running smoothly, the hose is sucked flat for the entire length. I assume that' normal.

After fillup, cranked and the surge began, alternating between about 1K and 2.5K rpm. Drove 5 minutes home, saw loose radiator cap, no sign of fluid under cap.

Filled up radiator...same problem. Cameto HONDAACCORDFORUMand read the several posts about burping the coolant system. Found the bleeder by following the LOWER radiator hose to the t-stat. Engine off, cracked the bleeder: no fluid at bleeder. Filled radiator until fluid seen at bleeder. Tightened bleeder. Filled radiator (only took a few ounces of fluid). Same problem.

Engine running, cracked bleeder, fluid squirting, tightened bleeder. Checked fluid, full to the cap.

MAN!! It can't be just a coincidence that this started after boiling out the fluid. Did I do this right? Any other suggestions?

(I didn't leave the bleeder cracked very long. Should I have let it squirt for a while to watch for air bubbles?)

Old 11-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: idle surge / fluid loss

Post is a bit confusing. Howver, the vacuum hose from the valve cover to the throttle body is the PCV hose and should not collapse. Someone has substituted from the original part which is a stiff, non-collapsing rubber. This will defeat the PCV function and can cause idle problems. Get an OEM hose from Honda.

good luck

Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 PM
longpatch
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice. I'll get that hose replaced. I thought it looked pretty cheap.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

That hose carries hot oil vapor. Someone probably replaced it with a generic parts-store hose, maybe heater hose or normal vacuum hose. The hot oil makes the rubber swell up & get real limp.

It's gotta be PCV hose.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Burp the coolant thru the bleed screw with the engine OFF