General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Key Stuck (95 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 PM

I have gotten this same exact problem, however, it has happened in my 7th gen. I just put in an amp and of course had the battery disconnected (got the radio lock code reminder, dont have the code though...) and had the shifter in position 1 while the engine was off. I went to put the car all back to together, everything seemed fine. I put the key in to test out my new system and got the stupid code (where can i find it?) but more importantly i could not take the key out.

Now i did some inspecting and found that when my removable shifter **** is OFF the key can release, but when screwed in correctly it cannot be released. there is a compressing mechanism that compresses when the **** is put on, i believe this is the problem but dont know where to go from there? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Default WD-40 + parking brake solved it for me

Thanks to everyone for the previous posts! They definitely helped me with troubleshooting.

I had the same problem--key wouldn't return to zero position. And while I did eventually get the key out, the car electronics stayed on. If I put the key back in and tried to start the car, the starter would engage, but the car wouldn't turn over.

I tried WD-40 and could then get the key in/out easily and start the car, but I still couldn't get the key to the zero position or turn off ALL of the electronics. Strangely, this time everything on the dash turned off--radio, ventilation, etc--but the open-door chime still sounded with the key out. Also, I could turn the ignition with the key just halfway in.

Dharwood had mentioned the "AT transmission shifter position" and the park switch perhaps being in a constant state of open, so I thought maybe changing the "park state" a little bit might help goose the indicator into knowing its true state.

I typically park the car without the parking brake engaged, despite a slight incline in our driveway. So to change it up, I started the car, reversed a foot, drove forward a foot, and engaged the parking brake before shifting the car to Park. This took some pressure off the transmission in the park state.

After doing that (set up by the WD-40) I was finally able to return the key to the zero position, turn the car completely off, and remove the key. Problem solved.

Thanks again everyone--your posts saved me a lot of grief and $100 in parts.