General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ignition switch won't go to "O"

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 AM
dickprice
Unregistered
Default Ignition switch won't go to "O"

91 Acord auto- recently I encountered periodic difficulty turning key completely "off" (resulting in several dead batteries;-(
By 'giggling' the key it would eventually clik back and allow removal.
I found an entire replacement switch, did some research and found Hondas commonly show wear/melting in the 'switch" end of the assembly rather than the tumbler end. Both mine were clean and unscathed.
I removed assembly (with some difficulty as Honda uses breakaway screws to keep evil doers from removing switch)
When off, (that is, when removed from car)switch seemed to operate normally, but I replaced w/new one. Now IT does the same thing.???
Now both assemblies balk at turning to "O" or off position without long fiddling..
Any suggestions?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ignition switch won't go to "O"

Are you using a duplicate key that's maybe not 100% accurate?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

are you forgetting to push the key in when you try to take it out? you have to push it, then twist it to zero.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:13 PM

x2 on the duplicates. I have a dupe that only one side works.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:32 PM

I have a key where only one side works too, but its a honda original. it works if you pull it out one notch though. However ign switches dont work like that. If the key goes in and turns, you can literally screw with the tumblers all you want and still be able to remove it when you turn it back to the "0" position. Not a problem with the key, could be a problem with the Neutral safety switch, if your car isnt in park or neutral you cant take the key out of the ign. Or a problem with whatever holds the key there when its not in neutral. NOT a problem with the key.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:17 PM
dickprice
Unregistered

Keys to both switches are original and have only recently given problems.
One side DOES appear to be somewhat better.
Had not thought of the nuetral safety switch...that is probably why the replacement switch worked ONE TIME, (disconnected from vehicle) then refuses to turn to O, or to raise the nobbin to lock steering wheel.
Off to re-swap (soon as I get turnable screws) will advise.
thanx yall for the help!
dp

Old 01-16-2008, 03:46 PM

you know the key is fine if it turns when you put it in. Its possible that if someone messed with the key you would not be able to pull it out, but a bad key would not stop you from going for one position to another on the ign switch.

if your any good at electronics you may be able to find the jumper that controls the ability to remove the key, and short it to ground/+12 (whatevers needed) try looking up a wiring diagram in a service manual. when you short things to ground put a resistor in the circuit, or something else that causes resistance so that you avoid blowing any fuses.