General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm back already with another problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default I'm back already with another problem.

After finally resolving this problem https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...earched-54783/.
A dead battery problem has started. My daughter used the car for about 24 hours after above repair. She needed a jump start last night and now it's stuck at her work today. I worked on the car on and off for a month. I did have to jump it twice. That's after it sat for over 10 days and again after I was working on her lights without starting the car. I'm sure I killed it that time. The battery in it right now is 3 years and 4 months old ( 40 months of a 60 month warranty ) The battery is from Benny's Home and Auto Center. It shouldn't matter though. From what I understand, there are really only a few companies that make batteries and just brand them for whatever store sells them. Once the car is jumped, it'll run just fine. I haven't looked at the car yet. I had it with me for a month without issue except the times I stated above. My son has a multimeter so that's a start. No pun intended.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the battery is going/gone....but

Use the volt meter. When running the voltage on the battery should be around 14.5v. With a load (headlights on, blower motor to high, ac on if working) it will drop some but should be still be ~13.5v.

If that tests out. Shut the car off and remove a cable from the battery. Measure the voltage and note it. About every hour measure the voltage, after about 5~6 hours what is the voltage? If it stays above 12v, connect the cable and see if the car starts?

Does it, if so we are now going to have "real" fun in finding the "draw"

Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I was holding off on the results to make sure it was resolved. I guess the battery crapped out after 40 months on a 60 month warranty. The store prorated the cost. ( SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS ! I DID ) It would have been $109.99 + tax. I paid about $80.00 w/tax for another one. My son is pretty knowledgeable after working in a parts store for 3 years. He seems to think it was just killed too many times. I know how many times I've jumped it, but not how many times my daughter did. I'm not a believer in throwing parts at a car, but it's been running for about 5 days now. Got my fingers crossed.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Good to hear it is starting up now

If you find that the new battery goes dead and needs a jump - then you have a bit more work ahead of you - Why is it going dead? You'd want to check/verify the chanrging system. Then look for "draws" on the battery - example, the 5th gen's (94-97) had a glove box light that would get out of adjustment and stay on all the time.

Last edited by poorman212; 05-28-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: when will I learn to spell?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

At one point I did notice the trunk open light on the dash. I just remembered that now. After the battery install. That could have been it. She did say the glove box light was on while headlights were on also. I never did check the car at night to notice. I do recall reading about that light also. I'll check up on that too.